Thursday, October 7, 2010

PaperWork

Date: 10/7/2010
         -16 Days

Going aboard (both for studies and for work) never is easy.  And it takes perseverance.  Lots of it.  You have to really be prepared to do a BUNCH of paperwork.  Not just filling out profiles, writing essay and all that jazz--but (at least in my case) the governmental paperwork seems endless.

I have gotten three background checks, at prices $25, $25, and $18.  Surprise--the national background check was actually the cheapest.  But both IN and SC checks.  Then those had to "apostilled."  Aka, internationally notarized--whatever that means.  So, basically, you apply for the background check--usually  you get it pretty quickly.  But the FBI one took almost a month (gag).  Then you have to get it apostilled (which takes about a week through the mail).  The first time it's not so bad--but then you do three times and it starts to grate on one's nerves.

I had to get my diploma.  People, I think this is weird, but I have to take my actual college diploma to SKorea.  Like, I faked the copy of it.  Anyway, I needed that basically when I started applying so I became really *good* friends with the Registrar's office.  I don't think they really liked me, but after 2 months of weekly phone calls and almost every other day emails reminding them that I was leaving in *cough cough* the end of that month *cough cough* I finally got it in the mail--special order (that costs extra).

I have to bring several passport ids with me--which for  $7.99 per 2--they are a pretty penny.

It's just a little crazy and I'm trying not to vent-- but I just looked in my bank account and realized that everything is expensive when considering going across the world.

OK, sorry to complain.  Next post will be better.

No comments:

Post a Comment