Monday, October 4, 2010

Buying Plane Tickets

I just bought my plane ticket...and holy cow!  I can't believe it!

I'm actually really impressed--the entire flight--from Indiana to Incheon/Seoul, South Korea was $806.  Considering I also was looking into teaching/flying to Japan which is a minimum payment of $1300, I think flying to Seoul is quiet a steal.  Granted, I still have to get from Incheon to Gunsan--which let me tell you will quiet the adventure.  Here's the iterntary for those couple days:

Oct 22:  8.30 pm:  Leave Indianapolis--fly to Chicago (30-45 minute flight)

              9.00 pm: arrive at Chicago

Oct 23:  1.00 am: Leave Chicago--fly to Incheon/Seoul (14-15 hour flight)

Oct 24: 5.00 am: Arrive Incheon/Seoul
             *Incheon is a "suburb"/"neighborhood" of Seoul.  Basically, Seoul expanded so quickly in the 80s that they need to build an airport that would not be swallowed up by the booming growth of the city.  They find Incheon, which is about an hour outside the city limits and build the major international airport for the country.  Happy story

Oct 24: ~7.00 am: Meet the Boss of JJ Recruiting.
             *This is the company I have been working with to find me a job in Korea.  Cindy is my recruiter--and let me tell you--I cannot be more impressed with this lady.  I worked with a couple agencies (not sure if that's really allowed), with varying degrees of success (I guess not really any success because I ended up sticking with JJ Recruiting and Cindy).  Anyway, message of story: love cindy.
               *Second message: I will be meeting the JJ Recruiting boss at the airport and he will help me buy a plane ticket to Jeonju.

Oct 24: ~1.00 pm: Arrive in Jeonju
             *Jeonju is the capital of the state (Jeolla-buk) that I will be working in.  Here I will meet my English teacher Coordinator, get a medical examination, sign the official contract and all that jazz.  I also may be applying for the ARC (Alien Residency Card), and a couple other key documents that will let me live and work in Korea.

Oct 25: 10.00 am:  Meet with coordinator
             *Do afforementioned things: sign contract, meet with coordinator, etc.

Oct 25: afternoon:  Leave Jeonju

Oct 25: later afternoon: Arrive GUNSAN!!!!
              * This is the small town that I will be living in.

Oct 26: wake up early and GO TO FIRST DAY OF WORK

That's right, folks--Within the time span of 48 hours I will have traveled across the Pacific Ocean, arrived in a foreign country, spend about 8 hours on a bus, meet with several important people regarding the success of my living in Korea, slept in two different places, and started teaching.  It will be fun...but as they say...I am young--I'll catch up on sleep when I'm retired.

I think that weekend should be *hopefully* a good indication to what kind of adventures I'm hoping to have in Korea.  Cross your fingers!

No comments:

Post a Comment