Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Volleyball...

Date: 10/26/2010


Today, after school, the teacher's played volleyball.  And I was recruited--believe it or not!  I haven't really played gym sports in like 7 ears and I never was the athletic one of the family.  My hand-eye coordination is practically non-existent.  But because I'm a virtual giant here the Koreans thought that I would be a good recruit.  So I agreed.  Why not?  And this is a valuable bonding experience.  Shows that I'm a team player and everything.  Kind of like going drinking.  It shows that I might not understand it, but they appreciate the effort I make (no matter if that effort actually contributes to any scores). 

After school, Ms Kim and I walk to the auditorium and there are a group of people passing around a volleyball.  Like bumping it with their wrists, setting up passes, and just whacking the ball around like they know what they are doing.  I immediantly get cold feet--I can't do that!  But everyone was so nice and invited me in.  




I wasn't great, but then they all noticed that I was wearing my slippers!  Of course I couldn't be good in slippers so someone went into their locker room and found some men's tennis shoes (Because there's no way I can fit into any women's sizes here).  I looked very sporty in my grey slacks, a semi-nice sweater and white tennis shoes. 




The first time I came up to serve, well, I made hand to ball contact so that pleased me.  I did an overhead serve.  That's what I learned I could do in high school.  Second surprise: I made it over the net!  I scored a simple point because the teachers were clapping for me, oohing and awing at my supposed skill!  let me tell you, it is very flattering to be in Korea because every accomplishment I have is treated like I am solving nuclear fission or  that I single-handedly fixed the US Health care (and have both sides happy).   I get to serve again; didn't go as well, but I still made it over the net and after a couple passes back and forth, my team losses the ball.  (Trust me, I'm a-OK with that!)  My team, by the way, is the vice principal ( a small woman), myself, and 9-10 men.  The other team was more even: about half and half.  I thought I was on the good team because all the men were wearing sporty, adias or nike inspired clothing.

I think I maybe only hit the ball 5 or 6 times.  The team had stuck me in the back right corner (and I couldn't have been more happy to have a small spot to protect).  I scored maybe 2 points.  But that really wasn't the point.  I just had a lot of fun playing around.  My team didn't win (and I hope not because of me).  We won the first game, but after we were beaten 2/3.  It was a really good time.  I was surprised how much I liked it.  

Afterwards, we had pizza and fried chicken waiting for us to eat.  If you've been counting--this is my 3rd night of pizza for dinner IN A ROW!   I can't really complain because it might be keeping me sane, but I'm getting a little tired of pizza.  Still, it was good.




After this, Ms Kim and I went to pick up Sukheung (her oldest boy) at daycare.  He was quiet the little star having an American pick him up.  Ms Kim told me that the day care people told her that Sukheung talked about his new Aunt all day long.  (insert: ahh! moment)

Next we went to the country side to pick up Suk Chiung (the 2 year old boy) who was in the fields with Grandma.  Grandma likes to garden so she rents some land in the country so she can grow some vegetables and such.   

Grandma Kim does not live here (she lives with her son back in the city).  So I'm not exactly sure who's house this is but it was on the lot and it is also an example of what most of the houses looked like in the country.  Some were two stories.


This is Grandma Kim's garden.  All the vegetables grown here are for the family.  Ms Kim says that this is a big help because veggies and fruits are very expensive here in Korea so all the things Grandma Kim grows are a new supplement.
These look like oranges, but I think they are Pirisimins (I don't know how you spell them, sorry).   They are not edible, but they smell pretty good.   Mrs Park actually keeps some in her car so that it smells fresh
On the way home, both boys fell asleep and it was SO cute! Sukheung was letting a couple fly unconsciously so every once and a while, Ms Kim and I would burst out into laughter.  It was great.

Cute baby!!!

SukHeung is 5 and just a doll.
Getting sleepy?

Asleep...

Update: My bed has been delivered.  This will be the last night I will spend with the Kims and I am sad. They have been so wonderful and such the perfect host.  But I look forward to seeing them again.  It's time for me to be a big girl and live on my own.  This past week has been nice to help me get accustomed to one thing at a time (I sort of feel OK with teaching) so now I can focus on everything that involves having my own home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment