Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Housing Fixes!

Date 10/26/2010


 After our lunch break, Ms Kim took me to the new apartment just to look around.  Can you say big sigh of relief?  It is smaller (but is that really a problem? No!) but it's clean and neat, and um...clean! and it is closer to school.  its in a nicer part of town, it's newer.  Its just better all over. Oh, and it's clean! there are small shops (a connivence store, a couple restaurants, a bar, and the post office) right next door.  Basically, it is kinda like what Carmel is trying to do, with shops on the ground floor and apartment studios above that.  This apartment is third floor.  It's very small (only a bedroom, and a kitchen area--that's only about 5 ft wide) but it's cute.  And its not like I will be entertaining anyone...

We left and I just felt happier.  It is such a relief to have that figured out.  I look at the place and I can see myself living there.  

Ms Kim said I can probably sign the contract tonight so cross your fingers.  

After we visited the place, we went to the old apartment (just a bad memory in my mind, now) and picked up all my stuff.  And then we put it in the back of MS Kim's car.  If I have a choice, I'm never going back there.  In the day light it really didn't look as bad as last night, but I don't care.  I want someplace that's clean and new and tidy.  

I also met Marisa--the old foreign teacher.  She was very nice.  I sat down with her and asked how she taught a lesson.  It's kind of mind-numbingly simple.  I have been given a page (the Think & Write page) to prep and asked to do a crossword puzzle.  I do say and repeat with the kids, and then ask them to fill in the blanks for sentence, then read and repeat again.  This should supposedly take 20 minutes.  (I ask, Really?) and then I will give them a crossword with the lessons vocabulary.  There are 5 words and 7 phrases so I spent 20 minutes trying to figure out a crossword weaver and then made a crossword.  I asked Ms Kim if I can ask her some questions about teaching and she said yes.  

Marisa said that the first week will be rough--simply because I start out running.  But after a week or two, I should understand what is expected of me and be able to do all my work during prep.  (It seems like some days I have a lot more prep than others).  For example, I had two classes today.  I have two tomorrow.  Wednesday I have 4.  I haven't figured out how to do Friday yet, because I will be in another school--a bigger country school about 1 hr away. I'm not sure how to get from my new apartment (10 minutes away) to school, I'm not even wanting to contemplate how to get to the country school.  

Carol also stopped by today.  She teaches English at the elementary school next door on Monday and Tuesdays.  She is an older lady (probably early/mid fifties) and from New Zealand/Australia.  She has a British accent--sort of.  

Anyway, both Carol and Marisa told me really good news.  I probably working at one of the best schools in Gunsan. The co-teachers here are just super nice people that will help you out with anything.  For example: helping me move apartments.  Also, Marisa and her husband are having a fair-well dinner tonight at Mr. Pizza and I got invited.  So I will be meeting a bunch (maybe 5 or 6) English teacher tonight.  Yippie!

No comments:

Post a Comment