Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Housing Woes and Fixes

Date: 10/26/2010

GOOD NEWS!:  I think I"ll be able to change apartments.  Instead of an apartment (with a couple rooms and a kitchen and such) I think that we'll be able to move me to a studio apartment closer to school!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  You have no idea how much better this makes me feel.  I was really worried about the housing.  Oh my god, was I nervous.  I guess I could have dealt with it, just spent the weekend cleaning the hell out of it--but it would have made living here so much harder! 

There is an English teacher (foreigner, his name is Matthew and he is from England) who’s co-teacher owns/rents out some studio apartments by the hospital.  Ms Kim called him and he said it would be OK not to do the $2000 deposit (which at the end of your rent, you get back, but it's just Korean policy to put down a huge downpayment to ensure your cooperation).  The apartment is a little far (about a 20 minute walk) which will be cold, but it's better than a 30 minute bus ride from a dilapidated, run-down, dirty hell-hole in the wall. 

I tell you this because I need a little bit of a release.  Do not worry.  I have Ms Kim who is amazing.  She is letting me stay the night at her place until I can get my apartment figured out. I mean, talk about hospitality.  She said she got a lot of help when she studied in London and that she's just returning the favor.  I promised her that if she and her husband ever want to go on a date, I will babysit. 

What I was trying to say, is that I have not actually spoken the words "That apartment is retched."  I don't want to offend anyone and saying that there is no possible way that place can be health certified is probably going to hurt some people's toes.  I have been politely saying, "Oh, it's very far" (copying from Ms Kim) or that "it is older" or "it is getting made ready."  I have been a litte more candid to Ms Kim with "It's kinda dirty" or "my weekend project will just have to be making it clean" or "i don't feel very safe there."  She is a mom, she understands. 

So right now, she is talking to another teacher and getting on the phone with the Gunsan board or Matthew or doing something so that I can get a new apartment. 

*BIG breathe of relief*

I'm glad that I spoke up to Ms Kim asking her about the apartment, because I think I had to initiate the conversation. I think, if I hadn't brought it up that she would not have talked to me about it. (sort of a non-confrontation idea.)  

No comments:

Post a Comment