Sunday, October 24, 2010

First Impressions

Date: 10/24/2010

On bus from Incheon to Jeonju:

These are my random thoughts as I sit on the bus.

1.  Korea is hilly.  I know that sounds ridiculous, but as I am from flat flat flat--and ever so much more--flat farm land, I guess the different elevations still catch me off-guard.  I should have been prepared for this--the Korean Peninsula is in fact a mountain (that's what makes it stick out of the ocean), but the elevations are just different than any place I've been in.  Not the rolling hills of South Carolina, not the softer Appalachians, etc.  The streets on both sides of the bus, have different little peaks (not just going up on one side and going down on the other). And the buildings seem to go straight up until the mountain starts a serious climb. Pockets of civilizations...

2.  I'm a giant.  This too, may sound ridiculous--but I wasn't expecting it to hit me quiet so nicely as it did in the rest-area.  I walked into the bathroom, and looked into the wall-length mirror.  I was a head above every single lady in that restroom.  There must have been 15 of them or so all crowded around--but it was so crazy--they didn't even reach my shoulders!  With men, it's a little easier--we are basically the same height.  But I tower over the women.  This will take some getting used to.

Those were the two thoughts that hit me before I conked out on the bus.

1 comment:

  1. Maggie - it sounds fantastic! And your details really make me feel like I am traveling with you! Thanks so much for sharing! - Karen

    ReplyDelete