Sunday, October 24, 2010

Best Things I Brought

These are things that I have brought with me, that I knew I might use, but never expected the deep attachment I now have for them after a couple flights, a bus trip, and only 2 out of 4 days of travel.

So, I now present:  The Top 3 Electronics

1.  Noise Cancellation Headphones:  This was a going-away gift from my father and they are a blessing I didn't really even stop to consider--until I was opening up the gift.  They saved my head so much pain and ringing that I would recommend to anyone traveling an international flight to get a pair.  They helped me sleep, they aren't that bulky, they will be used countless times over this next year, and so on and so forth.  Mine are Bose QuietSound 15.  They only use 1 (one!) triple A battery--and so far this one has lasted over 16 hours and is showing signs of wear.  

2.  LED Reading Light:  I got a Nook specifically for this adventure (basically Barnes and Nobles version fo the Kindle).  I love to read and knew that I'd have a hard time finding books in English, that I like, that aren't super expensive.  Anyway, the sales-person recommended I get an LED book light, because unlike the iPad, the Nook is not backlight and cannot be read in the dark.  They were $8 on Amazon.  I didn't realize how much I would use it on an international flight.  I read books, I used it to light up my journal so I could do some entries.  It was amazing.  I used it on the bus when it was still dark outside.  And I imagine I'll find some more uses for it before my travels are done.

3.  A wrist-watch.  My was $13 at Kohl's, is ugly and chunky, but it is so nice to have. You can't use your cell phones in Korea so I immediately worried about being able to get up in the mornings.  So I went a got a watch that beeps.  I thought that was all I was getting it for--wrong!  The stop watch has been used to make sure I get back to the bus on time during a rest-stop, the light was used to see in the dark, it has made it easier to switch time zones--at least mentally.  I set the time to Korean time as soon as I got on the plane and now it's just natural.  

No comments:

Post a Comment