Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Housing Update and Korean Family

Date: 10/26/2010
Sitting at the breakfast table with Ms Kim's family

I signed a contract for my studio apartment today!  Mr Kim (my land lord--not Ms. Kim's husband) is very nice and they are waiving the deposit (which is like $2000) and Ms Kim is helping me out and paying for the first month.  When I get my paycheck I will pay for 2 months and she will get her money back.

Because it's a studio apartment, I only have to pay for the electrica nd gas.  My internet, trash, cable tv, and such is covered.  So instead of $60-$100 I will only pay about $30-$50 depending on how much heat I use.

My place is very tiny.  Literally only 1 room where the bed will go, and then a couple "large closets" that just happen to have some appliances in them.  But I don't mind: I only  have two suitcases of stuff so it's not like I need space.

I had dinner with Marisa (the co-teacher I am replacing), Jordan (marisa's husband), Jessica and Matthew.  Marisa and Jordan are leaving for Taiwan on Wednesday and then plan to visit a good bit of the world: Taiwan, China, Loas, Japan, Miamare, Thailand, Singapore, and so on...(there are a few I'm forgetting).  Jessica (I think she goes by Jessie) is from South Africa and has been here 18 months.  Matthew is from Liverpool, and is the resident super English Teacher having been here for 4 years.

Front: Matthew and Jessie.  Back: Jordan, Marisa, and Me
I had a lot of fun.  We ate at Mr Pizza and tried the Hawaiian and Secret Garden.  Not sure about the Secret Garden, but it was good food in general.  There were some crazy looking pizza, like Crab Delight and Seafood Heaven:



Next we went to Canmodi for some iceflakes.  Jordan and Marisa really the iceflakes while I was a little puzzled by the concoction:  Its a bowl with shaved ice topped with a scoop of ice cream, whipped cream, fruit loop cereal, corn flakes, and they got the fresh fruit option.  Usually there's bean paste, but they get it sans bean paste (smart people).  I just had some lemon tea.  I did have a taste of the iceflakes and it wasn't bad, just different.  I think I will have to be in South Korea a little longer to develop an appreciation for the iceflakes.

Talking about food, today's lunch had octopus tentacles in it.  I tried very politely not to eat those--they kinda grossed me out.  It doesn't look like calamari when they are in a red sauce and with the suckers still attached.

Nak-ji Bo-kum
Chopsticks are different in Korea.  They are flat and made out of metal so they are slippery.  I am making a mess of myself at every lunch.  I wonder what the adults--heck, what the students--think about the clumsy American girl.  Well, at least they think I am a "beautiful" clumsy American.

I am currently having breakfast with Sukyeong and Sukchiung (Ms Kim's 5 and 2 year old sons).  I made scrambled eggs and Ms Kim watched/learned.  She then had to make them for Sukyeong because he wouldn't eat a Korean breakfast. 

Sukyeong is a very sweet little boy.  we played dinosaurs yesterday after breakfast. 

Apparently he really likes me.  Monday night, during dinner, Sukyeong wouldn't eat something, so Ms Kim said "If you eat that, maybe Aunt Maggie will stay for another night."  He actually ate it!  I guess he calls me Aunt Maggie in Korean (makes me smile), although does that mean he's calling me Aunt Catfish or Aunt Maggie?  Hmm...

He was upset last night because I came home after his beadtime so he didn't get to play.  He doesn't really run up and give hugs, he's too shy, but he follows me around and silently watches me.  He also looks at me and breaks into a huge smile.  It's very neat.  I'm very impressed with both of Ms Kim's children, they are very well behaved. 

When SukChiung woke up this morning he started to cry.  I asked if I could go pick him up--Ms Kim said I didn't have to but she was busy cooking--so I went right in.  He was so cute laying on his belly and in walks the strange American girl staying at his place.  He was shocked quiet. But he lets me pick him up and I take him out to the kitchen he just rests sweetly on my shoulder.  So adorable. 

Every morning Ms Kim's mother comes over around 7.45-8 am to watch the children.  I don't think she speaks any English but she watches the children with love in her eyes.  Apparently she has a garden somewhere and grows sweet potatoes.  

Koreans love their sweet potatoes.  There were multiple potato pizzas at Mr Pizza last night and the option to have a sweet potato crust (a both a crust and a stuffed edge with a sweet potato mousse).  We had the sweet potato crust and stuffing on the Secret Garden.  It wasn't actually that bad--just sweet.  I think the Korean's compensate for all their spicy food by making everything else super super SUPER sweet.

Here are some pictures of the Kim Family:

Left to Right:  Sukheung, Me, Grandma and SukChiung

No comments:

Post a Comment