Sunday, October 24, 2010

My First Day (The Hanok Village)

Date: 10/25/2010 (But this post is about Day 10/24)

It's currently 3.30 in the morning here.  I went to bed last night around 7.45 and after 7 hours of sleep I can't make myself veg-out any longer.  Don't get me wrong--I love sleep, but my nerves are a little shot because I meet with my English coordinator today and (um, hello) I'm in a freaking new country!  Who would want to sleep?

So, I arrived yesterday.  I made it soundly to Jeonju and am staying at the Core Hotel.  It's a little old (judging by the fabrics, probably late 70s early 80s), but it's clean and the people are super nice.  I arrived at, like 9.30, which is super early and I don't think they normally let people into their rooms that soon, but they let me.  It was so nice--the first thing I did was take a shower.  Ahh.  Here are some photos:

Older, but clean accomadations.  Note lowered Korean bed (at least I'm not on the floor!)

Bathroom.  
View out my window.  This is Jeonju, state capital of Jeonbuk
I unpack--a little.  I don't really want to open my suitcases because they are so stuffed and last time I zipped them it kind of a battle.  But I changed clothes, and made a small backpack with essentials (wallet, diary, Frommer's, jacket) and head down stairs.  My destination plans: the Hanok Traditional Village

I go down to the front desk and ask for directions.  She said I would call a cab--which she nicely did for me.  In 5 minutes they would show up.  I looked outside and went, 'bummer, it's raining" --just little sprinkles.  But a little rain wouldn't stop me (I did ask for other options, but basically you go to Jeonju to go to the traditional village.)  And then, the hostess lady starts talking Korean to the doorman and he gets all excited and runs off.  I have no idea what's going on, but he returns and is carrying an umbrella!  The hotel lent me an umbrella so I could stay moderately dry!  So that is why the Core Hotel gets 5 stars for me.  

So, I get in the taxi, and he takes me literally maybe a mile or so up the road (it took 3 minutes) and drops me off at the village.  It cost $2500 (about $2.5)--can we say, "YES!" to taxi's in Korea? I can!

It's only drizzling so I snapped open the umbrella, square my shoulders (I've only been in the country for 5 hours), and set off determined to enjoy myself.  I was a little scared--single American female, who wouldn't be?  Then I was nervous because it was grey and drizzling and (hello--I'm in a freaking country and goign exploring--who wouldn't be nervous!).  But I'm good--then I hear the music and I realize that I might be very luck.  It's not just another Sunday at the Traditional Village--It's the Jeonju Food Festival!  Which might not sound like alot--but it turned out to be a huge deal and was so much fun! The music was a parade!




The following are some photos of me poking around the village.  I will also be uploading some pictures of the Bibimbap Food Festival, and one with some cultural things.  But, right now, may I present Hanok Traditional Village.

They had these neat...grottos? water fountains? nature set-ups?  everywhere. I figured, since I'm in Korea, why not flash the peace sign?!

The people who took the last picture asked if I could take a picture with them.  Sure, why not!

This was something I guess I never could have imaged.  Don't take this like it's going to my head--but I kinda was a mini-celebrity.   I read a little about how if an American goes out, they might be looked at, gawked, pointed and what not.  Maybe it was just because I had just arrived and am in Honeymoon phase and everything's wonderful! but I didn't really mind.  You'll see more evidence of this later on.


You can actually stay at the Hanok Village--like it's hotel.  If I have a weekend and want to go do something that is close by, I might try to stay here.

There were some really nice people who offered to take my picture!


Dragon!  I loved that the simplest corner was decorate.

This is Gyeongijeon (I think that's how you spell it). 

So, apparently Jeonju is a very famous village because it was where the first King of the Shilla Dynasty came to power.  So this is his fortress, now honoring him.  It had courtyards, fun architecture, and you can see a photo of the King in the back.

Again, no detail too small.  I wonder if they have to repaint these every year or just weather treat it?

The Catholic church across the street from the Fort.

This Church was the location of the first persecution of Christians in South Korea.  I guess back in the 1600s there were a couple martyrs (one who got his head put on a stick and stuck in front of the Fortress across the street as a warning).  This church was built in 1904 or something and is a classical example of Byzantine architecture.  It's made with bricks--completely.  Like the walls are bricks, the curves, frills, and decorations are all bricks.  (Oh, and the bricks were handmade in either China or Korea).
Another Celebrity shot.  A couple came up to me and asked if I could hold their child and have them take a photo.  I think I'm going to have to wear better clothes when I go out if this is how it's going to be.

Might I add that I think Asian babies are probably the cutest ever.  I love their plump cheeks, they're little hands, and the the little girls always have their hair in pigtails or a single poof on top of their head that is so adorable.

Might I also add to this a funny side note.  I sent these pictures to my mom and her response to this one: "Don't bring one back."  I love babies--but do not fear, mi madre!  I have a couple things to do first before I undertake that adventure.
This was the temple/shrine/back of the fortress where you can see the portrait of the 1st King.  I liked this because humans are to walk on the outside of the sand lot (I image some sort of Confucian garden, at one point in time), while the Gods can walk directly across on the "God Bridge"

Bamboo Forest!
I don't think I'd ever seen real bamboo (at least none in a real garden/forest and 30 ft tall!)

This is Sumi and Yooba.  

I meet Sumi and Yooba around 11.15 and took their picture.  They offered to take mine, and then we started talking.  I mentioned that I was hungry--so they took me to where the Bibimbap festival was serving food.  Then we had lunch.  They spent the next 5 hours showing me around Hanok.  No joke!  I was a little worried because you always hear about girls getting abducted for trusting the wrong people,  so kept my guard up most of the time.  But it seemed like they wanted to show an American around, practice their English, and we took each other's pictures (which is why I have so many of me in front of something).

They offered host me the next time I came to Jeonju, offered to take me to dinner, etc.  All Which I politely turned down, insisting that I needed to call my parents, or that I'd get ahold of them.  I am thankful that they were so nice--I wouldn't have learned nearly as much--nor had as much fun or good memories, without them.

Another "Can I take A Picture with you and my child?"

I started with a parade at the Hanok village, and while I was leaving another one was marching down the street.  Here:

I was even on top of it enough to do a mini sample of their music: 

So that was the Village.  It was alot of fun--and there's still more!

1 comment:

  1. Maggie!!
    Im so glad you made it safely and had a great time! The pictures are awesome! I thought about you all weekend and your trip across the ocean! I hope all is going well thus far! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete