Monday, December 20, 2010

Video Recorded Lesson Results

Date: 12/21/2010

Every fall, Jeollabuk-do (my state) holds a competition.  The foreign teachers are to video-record a lesson which will be judged and then winners will be announced.  The aim is to promote good co-teaching (which I wasn't really told until after I had video-d my lesson).

Anyway, I had been in the country for 2 weeks when my co-teacher, Ms Kim told me about this.  And, she was sorry, but it was required by everyone--no matter how long they'd been here (she was the messenger, so I just had to smile and try to figure out what the hell I was going to do).  At this point, I distinctly remember feeling like I had no idea what I was doing in front of the students.  Me...teach?  I know I had signed up for that, but really, I had been thrown into the classroom without any real (read: none) experience and told to go.  I had pretty amazing co-teachers that helped A LOT but still I had no idea what I was doing.

Luckily, Thanksgiving was right around the corner.  So I did my lesson on Thanksgiving, which any American can basically wax poetically about for hours if needed.   That was the week that my computer cord had committed Harakiri (Japanese suicide) and died a valiant, violent spark-y death.  So if I still had work, I ended up staying late a couple nights that week.  No big.

I think the lesson went well.  I mean, it worked.  Which is usually how most of my lessons go.  The kids understood and basically did what I asked--lesson successful.  The kids throw paper airplanes more often than answering questions--lesson moderately successful.  The kids jump a poor-unfortunate-soul in the middle of a powerpoint--lesson not successful.  Note to self: that is a horrible evaluation scale.  Please, readers, hear the sarcasm. 

Anyway, about a week ago a bunch of the "finalist" went to Jeonju to present their lesson live in front of a panel of judges.  I had friends in both the judging panel and the contestants.  It was a Thursday so it was Girl's Night so we all got together and, while celebrating Jess' birthday, we talked about it.  Technicaly, Jess couldn't say very much because she signed a confidentiality agreement, but Lindsay was a contestant so she told a bunch of fun stories.

Then, this morning, I was putting together a worksheet for the "Merry Christmas Mr. Bean" episode (because, just watching a movie feels a bit like a cop-out) and I hear some animated talk behind me.  This is not unusual.  I've gotten very good at guessing what subjects are about based on the speed, tonal fluctuations, pitches, and rhythms of the sounds.   I thought maybe someone had gotten a puppy, or maybe engaged...  Note to self: It is strange that I put getting a dog AND getting engaged on the same level of excitement.... 

I was wrong....The results from the video-recorded lesson were back.  And, guess what?!  Yours truly actually placed!  I am 1 of 14 4th place winners for the Middle and High School division.  I think it's more like an "honorary mention" but frankly I don't care.  I mean, I had been in the country 3 freaking weeks, and the fact that I managed to get through the lesson without total chaos erupting was a check in my box.  But, here I am on this piece of paper, along with people who are obviously really good teachers (I recognize a few of the names).

It really made my morning.  I think everyone in my school had basically assumed the same thing I did: She's been here 3 weeks, don't expect much.  Not saying that they don't like me, they do!  But, honestly, you need time to adjust and they acknowledged that.  When I was doing the lesson, I was told many times to just think of it as an evaluation--you don't have to actually try to win the prize.

So to get on the list, they were just as pleasantly surprised.  It's a really good thing that I, along with my co-teacher Mrs Park, bring good press to the school.  I earn brownie points with my school by doing a good job.  This was mucho brownie points.  I had teachers I don't really know come up to me and say, in English, "Congratulations!"  (which is a pretty difficult word to say!).  And not just one or two, but like 10 people.  Mrs Park came in about 3 minutes after I had found out, and we exchanged high fives and laughs.   This is a good thing for both she and I.

My morning's victory dance!
Here are some facts about the results:

It is split into two groups: Elementary and Middle/High School. There is 1 first place winner, 2 second place winners, 3 third place winners, and 14 fourth place winners. 

My friend Lindsay won the Elementary 1st place.   I also know one of the 3rd place winners: Karl.  I think I recognize about 3 of the 4th place winners in the Elementary bracket.

For Middle/High School Bracket, I know one of the 2nd place winners.  And then 3 of the other fourth place people.  Sarah, my good South African friend, placed!  I was one of 9 middle school teachers and Sarah was one of 11 high school teachers (but I don't think they differentiated, just lumped us all together).

As I said, I feel pretty happy right now.  Pleasantly surprised and excited.  It is good to recognition.  And it is also good to know that even when I felt like I have no idea what I'm doing, I still did something right.   So, theoretically, when I start to feel like I actually do know what I'm doing, I'll be even better!  Maybe....

No comments:

Post a Comment