Monday, December 13, 2010

Snow!

Date: 12/7

Last Tuesday a wonderful thing happened in Gunsan!  The first snow fall!  Even though I had already seen snow in Seoul, it was a special occasion.  I think I confused a bunch of teachers because I totally reverted into little girl mode and went galloping outside to frolic in the flakes.  Even though Indiana gets snow ALL THE TIME, South Carolina (where I spent four years in college) didn't really get any snow.  And if it did, the was gone within an out (except for one awesome moment in my senior year).  Anyway...getting off track.

I come to school on Tuesday and it was pretty cold, and gray.  But I really didn't think anything of it.  Gunsan is just a cold, gray place sometimes.

But around 2nd period, a teacher pointed outside and said, "look!"  I turn around and a huge grin breaks out on my face.  "SNOW!"

I grab my camera and race outside.

I was worried at first because I couldn't really capture the flakes on film.  But...that was during the first few minutes...just wait!

You can sort of see the spots here...
Then, all of a sudden, the snow just intensified.  And BAM!  winter wonderland had arrived...

The students had exams during this week, so any break they had, they got out of their seats.  Snow was the perfect opportunity to run and play. 

The preschool kids next door came out to play also.

I though they were crazy for opening a window.  It's freezing outside and the heat disappears so quickly through any opening--but they wanted to see the snow so I can't really blame them....

 I went out into the snow after a little bit and was playing around.  I tossed a snowball around with some boys and then joined them in writing messages in the snow.  I figured making snow angels while in nice school clothes might be going a bit too far....unfortunately....

I came back in and learned the word snow:  눈  (pronounced "noon"  but spelled "nun")...and then I learned "sah-rum-nee-da" which means "I love ..." (I think that's how you say it...I don't know...usually if you just say it fairly quickly it sounds something like it's suppose to).  So you if you combine "Noon" + "sah-rum-nee-da" you get, "I love snow!" (Something hopefully like this:  나는 눈을 사랑한다 !)

I also got a new nickname: Egi Meggie.

So as I have said, my name in Korea is not mAHggie--it's mEHggie (as in Meghan).  They don't have the "ah" sound...so I get Meggie.  Which, ironically enough, mean's Catfish.  (Get it...Catfish Chronicals...ha ha...ha ha...).  Well, Egi (eh-gee) Meggie means Baby Catfish because I was such a little kid with the snow that all the teachers thought it was cute.

Sadly, the good times came to a rather quick end.  Within an hour, all the snow had melted because the ground wasn't cold enough.  *sad face...but then, I didn't have to walk home in the snow, either, so it might have just been perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment