Sunday, December 5, 2010

Cute-e Gone Overboard

Date: 12/5

So, Koreans are very neat because they try to make everything "cute."  From regular things like lunch boxes and clothes, to more bizarre things that just don't really make much sense. As a very visual culture, they often doll-up many things that a Western would just simply overlook.

And then, adding to the strange-factor, is that many of the ways they cute-ifiy an item is by adding English quotes, you end up with some really "I need a second look at that" moments.

For example:  today, I went a bought a toilet bowl brush.  You know...like when you clean the toilet, you need a brush to make sure you actually get it clean. Yes, well, I was at Lotte Mart to purchase one.  I was looking for a cheap one, so I bypassed the Hello Kitty and Simpsons brushes.  (Really, I don't want to stick Kitty's head in a toilet--not very nice payback considering I based 1/2 my senior thesis off her.  And considering the Simpsons has a character named Maggie, I can't do that to the family.)  So I grab the one brush that is just plain, with some little doodling at the bottom.  I don't actually take a look at the brush until I get home--and it makes me laugh.

Looks pretty plain, right?
Wrong:


I quote: "You are such a nice and special person that just knowing you're around can make me smile."

That's just a little disturbing to me. I mean...it's saying I'm special because I went to the bathroom?  Just strange.  It makes me laugh!

On a less bizarre note: I decorated for Christmas today.  Look at what my 3,000 won got me!

No comments:

Post a Comment