Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Jeju: Getting to Seoul (2)

Date: 12/24

So, we get to Seoul and realize it's 5.30 at night.  On a Friday.  On Christmas Eve.  The subways are going to be a mess!  And, guess what?!  They were...aweful!  It was so much fun!
Sarah's "really?! what have we gotten ourselves into?!" face
The train had just taken off--these were all the people that couldn't fit into it.  We were so screwed.  
We waited through 2 trains coming, being JAMMED stuffed, and finally we were at the front of the line.  


Waiting for the training...you can tell we're still waiting because we are standing up-right.  

Now we are on the train.  I took a shoulder bag--which was much better than a wheely bag, but still, not great because it got caught underneath the hands, arms, and bodies of everyone else.  This equals Maggie shrinking about 6 inches.  Talk about a soar back!
It was great.  We are stuffed like sardines.  You can't move. You aren't holding on to anything.  When the train slowed down the whole crowd would just sort of lean because we were all so tightly packed that you wouldn't fall down.  

I literally am resting my head on some strange man's shoulder.  Sarah is about 4 feet away from me, but there are around 5 people inbetween us.  To make sure we were all on the train we would randomly yell out, "Marco?!"  

Somehow, I have my left arm free.  I was able to reach into my pocket and pull out my camera.  I slowly raise it into the air and aim it at me.  All the Koreans start laughing.  I couldn't stop laughing.  It  was some serious culture shock. 


Marco?
 Polo!
It was very hot in the train.  We all have our winter coats on.  I end up holding Sarah's scarf and gloves--and we have our one and only casualty.  Somewhere in the train, I drop one of Sarah's gloves.  But by the time I realize it, we are off the train and it is gone.  

We see a Santa in subway...makes it feel like Christmas!

Sarah's "What the Hell was that? I'm never doing that AGAIN!  I can't believe we just did that!" face 
Scott's "Well, that was fun..."
 We spent the night at Bebop House in Hongdae (a neighbor hood in Seoul).  It was really nice.  First Hostel I'd ever stayed in.  And on Christmas Eve!



My Christmas Eve Bed.  If I sent you Merry Christmas's on Facebook--this is where I sent them from.
We basically dropped our things off at Bebop House and then went out for dinner.  It was about 8.30 by this time.  So we start walking--it was freezing!
Sarah is all bundled up!
Kat--Scott's Sister who lives in Seoul--zips Sarah up so that she can stay warm...
But it was all worth it because: A: We got to see some Christmas lights: 

B: we headed out for some Mexican!  I've been craving Mexican food for a while!
I couldn't wait for the photo opt--I just started to chow down.  Lisa (Kat's neighbor) looks very pretty and calm.  Scott is  very nicely presenting his food.  Very gentlemanly.  I think Kat is trying to show how hungry she is, but still being polite.  I didn't aim for polite.  I just started chewing and then turned my head towards the camera because it was picture time.  I was HUNGRY!
C: We met some really cool Santas: 


A few minutes in the cold was totally worth it!  

We got back to Bebop house around 11 and then took showers and got ready for bed.  I think we stayed up for a while talking--Sarah's stomach was growling like a phone vibrates--it was pretty funny.  It was a good day--and just the beginning--we weren't even officially on our vacation yet!  

No comments:

Post a Comment