Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Open Mic Night

Date: 12/14

On Tuesday, we had a fun night in Gunsan!  There are basically two western bars in Gunsan (which, when you think about it is pretty good): TLC and The ROK.  I have not been to TLC; I've heard it is the military bar where it can get a little ridiculous.  But I met some new foreigner people last Wednesday at the ROK and we had a lot of fun.

They invited me and my friend Sarah to come the following week for Open Mic Night, the following Tuesday--which was 2 days ago!

It was a little late, starting at 10 pm, but the following day all the 3rd graders had to take their national high school entrance exam so I didn't have to be at school until 9.20.  (Extra hour of sleep!).  So I bundled up, met Sarah for coffee around 8.  She wasn't feeling very well, so I walked over to Bar Street by myself and then met up with a bunch of the foreigner friends.

I walk in and I'm probably a little early.  There are a couple groups of Koreans sitting at tables but only a couple foreigners.  I take a seat at the bar and slowly start to un-layer.  I turn to my right and smile at a Korean woman looking at me.  (By now, I'm pretty used to getting looked at, so I just smile and nod).  She says, "Hello." In English, so I try to start a conversation with her.  "What's your name?" Pretty simple question.  She says, "Sunni," and gives me a funny look.  I say my name, and then repeat because it's so freaking loud.  On the second time, she goes, "I know."  I took it as, "I heard," and then saw a friend walk in so I go to great the friend.

About 15 minutes later a bunch of foreigners have arrived and we pull some tables together.   Sunni is sitting across from me.  About five minutes after sitting next to each other, she leans over and says, "You don't remember me, do you?"  I look at her.  I don't think I've met this Korean.  I mean, I've met a lot and a bunch of very small encounters.  But I honestly didn't remember this woman.  She was decked out for the bar: a big black fur vest, a tilted fendora hat, and 4 or 5 inch heels.  While it is quiet normal for Koreans to get dressed up, even she looked snazzy!  Then she introduces herself, "I am landlord."

It suddenly clicks.  My brain thinks just one thing: "Oh sh*t."  Not only did I run out on this woman, but I totally didn't even remember her.  Talk about slams...

I quickly try to repair the situation--"I'm so sorry!"  I tell her how I thought her place was fine, I just found a place closer to school so it's a quick walk.  Blah blah blah.  The damage was already done.  The person next to me is dying of laughter because I have totally made a dunce out of myself.

Oh well.  Luckily, Open Mic started and I was able to have a convenient excuse to stop digging my grave, or inserting a foot into my mouth.

I think the owner of the bar is on the right.  He was military.  It was necessary for both of them to do the announcements because there was a mixed crowd (Korean and English speakers).

Miss Amber!  She actually sang a song in Spanish--which was fun!  Mucho brownie points!  I think it was "La Tortilla" (?) by Shakira

 The crowd...


Then Amber and Cherie sang a duet..."Bad Romance" by Lady Gaga.


 Cherie went on next.  She sang "Valerie" by Amy Winehouse (spelling...?)  She also sang another song, but I don't remember.  Actually I am quiet impressed that I remember the songs names for the other ones...cudos to me!
Add caption
 Then a couple guys got up and "rapped." I won't be too harsh on them because it takes massive guts to get up in front of people and try something new, but it wasn't great.


About four of us got up and left after that.  It was approaching 11.30 pm and we had really come to see Cherie and Amber.  I heard that it continued for a while with stand up comedy and a couple more people with guitars.

It was a good night over all.  I seems that it will be happening every Tuesday so it will be something go and do if I get bored.

No comments:

Post a Comment