Sunday, December 5, 2010

Korean Life Lesson: Laundry

Date: Whenever

It's been a while since I was able to upload some pictures--my apologies about that.  Pictures are always more fun than just reading text.  But do not worry--I have purchased more space for my blog and I have found my camera so that all is good.

And where do I pick up my picture-heavy blog?  Well...with the laundry, of course.

I didn't realize how lucky I was doing laundry at home.  I had a washer, dryer, enough hangers, dryer sheets, all of it.  And when I was home home (at the parents abode) they even did it for me!  Now I'm back on my own, and in a foreign country, the rules for doing laundry have changed.

This is my laundry machine:


Looks like a nice, simple machine? Right?  No.  Wrong.  Here is a close up of the control panel:

So...roughly a loose translation of what Korean means--from Left to right:  water temperature (hot or cold?), size of load (or amount of detergent needed), I have no clue (I don't mess with this button), I have no clue (don't mess with this button), start button (for cycle) and ON/OFF button.

If that's not chaotic enough--you can always take relief in the dryer.  Introducing my dryer:


 That's right--my dryer is a rack.  I get to air dry everything.  Which, while is good for the environment, it takes some careful calculations for what is considered "dirty."  Because you won't be able to throw it in the wash and have it dried the next morning.  Try like four days later.  Sort of a pain in the rear.

But one trick that I've gotten from other Foreign friends is to put all the clothes on your "hopefully" clean floor.  Since we have the heating system through the floor, your clothes dry considerably faster and it acts as a humidifier at the same time!

No comments:

Post a Comment