Monday, December 6, 2010

Teacher's Walk

Date: 11/18

Sorry this has taken so long to upload. As previously mentioned--I ran out of storage space on Google so I had to figure out how to purchase it.  (For more info on this: follow this link: https://www.google.com/accounts/PurchaseStorage ).  Then I got swept up in EPIK Orientation and couldn't spare the time or brain capacity to put together a posting.  THEN I lost my camera (well, not really.) It was hidden in a coat pocket, but all these pictures were on the camera disk so...

Needless to say, I'm finally getting around to posting this.

It was a Wednesday or Thursday and after school my city school teachers are going on a walk.  I thought it would be around Eunpa park--which is right in my city, but was quickly corrected.  I get in the car with my principal and Mrs Park (the co-teacher who drove me from Jeonju to Gunsan the very first day).  We get to leave early since most of the teachers are participating in the walk.  (Have I mentioned that schedules for school always change and that it's great when you come to school expecting one regular long day but then find out that No! You get to leave early! *Happy face!)

We drive out to the boonies--maybe 30 minutes and turn around a couple corners where I'm just like, "Where the heck are we?" And then, one more turn and we pull into a pretty nice looking park.

Park Mascots--they have mascots for EVERYTHING!

Random cows...
I was told that we were going to this park because it had beautiful reeds...which they weren't lying.  They were beautiful-talk about a majestic entrance:







 The "walk" is around this man-made lake.

 I mentioned Mrs Park and the principal.  Here are some pictures of them!

Busy man--even on a restful walk--he's still working!
 So once you are out of the entrance way, there are some pretty cool pictures of just random things.  The colors in Korea are so beautiful...I love fall, anyways, but it is so cool to be here.


Everyone say "Cheese--" Ops! No.  In Korea, Everyone: say "Kimchee!"  And flash that peace sign.  Two of the must-haves for photo-taking in Korea.


Random pagota:

 Bamboo forest!  I haven't been in Korea long enough not to be completely struck speechless by bamboo that is 30 ft tall.  I mean, I told Mrs Park that the only bamboo I've ever seen is a potted gift I received by my fabulous roomie in Sophomore year of college.  After 2 years, it is only 2 ft tall.  This stuff is awesome!

In the picture above, the "path" is actually made out of bamboo roots.  They are that close together.  Chop them off close enough to the ground and you can make a pathway out of them!  If you are too far up, you get this effect--which is still cool: 


Next we walk into a clearing where they are doing an Arbor Day mission.  All these trees need to be "supported" because the wind is so strong in Gunsan/South Korea that they will literally bend over during their growth and fall down.  Thus, the props.


About 45 minutes into the walk we meet up with a group of teachers.  They had stopped about a 1/4 of the way through the way (tells you how big the lake is!) and were waiting for us.  There were a whole bunch of them, with a few familiar faces.

I was surprised by Jee-he (I think, I hope) when she gave me a fork and spoon.  (I had mentioned at dinner the past week that I only had 1 of everything: spoon, fork, knife, plate, etc. Can we all say, "How sweet!")

The group:
Top Row:  Jew-he, Sung Sik, Min-hee  Bottom Row:  Principal, Me, Wisdom, Sasenigm (teacher) Itou
 Teacher Itou is an amazing lady.  She doesn't speak more than 3 words of English, but every day, without fail, she comes up to me in the teacher's room, and talks to me.  Usually I smile at her while she's talking to me, and then turn and get an interpretation from Ms Kim, and then look back at her, and respond, which Ms Kim translates.  Sasenihm Itou first talked to me during the School Festival where she taught me the word "sasenihm" and wanted to know what I thought of Korean men--she has a grandson, you see.  (big smile) (Also, I know I am totally butchering the spelling of Korean words.  But I'm writing them how I think they are pronounced.  It's not pc--but I think being able to say the word correctly is more important than the authentic spelling.--At least in this stage of my Korean language development).

KIMCHEE!!!
 On the walk back, more beautiful views:


My 3 Korean Friends--who are girls.

Me and Mrs Park!  (I printed this photo off the next evening and ended up giving it to her as a gift.  She loves it and has it hanging at her desk now.--another big smile!)

It was funny--the walk divided into two groups: Men and Females (Except Sung Sik who ended up helping Sasenihm Itou by holding her hand through the rough terrain.)  A shot of the men.
Left to Right:  Principal, Mr Joo, and the man who sits across from me in the teachers room--who always says Hello to me.  I think Mr Joo is the teacher in charge of the other teachers.  I always try to be really nice to him -- and I also slow danced with him at the noreabang...

Pretty, eh?!


Finishing up the walk:


I really liked this little sign.  Most signs you see in America are so utilitarian--this one has wood carved birds on top.  Plus, I think the Korean language is beautiful...

On the way back, the sun was setting behind the mountain and was casting some beautiful light over the wheat field.  I was lucky to get a couple shots before it disappeared.


Cudos to Mrs Park for helping me capture some moments also!
Mrs Park had actually picked me some of the red berries.  We talked a little bit about holly and mistletoe.


Gathered in the parking lot, we all decide we are starving and get ready to go eat.
 This restaurant was really close to the park.  I kinda wonder how it would survive out in the  middle of no-where--but then I tasted the food and knew the answer to that question.

I mentioned to some other foreigner that I was a little scared of how the place looked.  But, the friend said, if you didn't go into any place that didn't look at least a little dodge-y then you would probably starve during your stay in Korea.
 Traditional style eating--on the floor.  I was really surprised also--the wallpaper was the same for the whole room. And I'm talking about all possible walls--including the ceiling.

We were served Back Sook (bah-k sUk)--which is basically a whole chicken, stuffed with Chinese Medicinal Herbs and cooked in a small amount of broth.  It was absolutely delicious.  It was the first thing in Korea that I could probably eat every day and be happy and still want it the next week.  It was delicious.

The only "problem" is that it is the WHOLE chicken.  You eat it by taking your chopsticks and slowly picking off the meat from the bones.  At one point, I actually grabbed a bone and lifted--turned out it was the leg. And I mean, the whole leg--as in I was holding a chicken foot.  I made a funny noise--really wasn't expecting to see a chicken foot waving at me--drop the foot, and look around at the teachers, who burst out laughing.  Luckily, this time no one ate the foot, although it is edible.

At the end of eating the meat, you can drink the soup.  It is the best chicken noodle broth you can ever imagine times basically a 1000.  Just delicious.

 Oh, and they also had about 15 or 16 so side dishes to go along with the chicken.  I stuffed myself...and went home a happy camper.  Most of the side dishes are unknown to me--I just try a little bit of everything and hope that I like it.  If I do, I'll make note and repeat.  If not, I try not to make a face and just go on to the next one.


Completed Chicken.  If you look closely, you can see the foot.


Around the end of the meal, I look over and see the male teacher next to me and notice his socks.  They are toe-socks!  I fell in love.  Talk about fun!

I pointed it out and he obliged me with a photo.  

 After this, it's about 7 pm.  I am shuffled around a little bit and eventually find a driver who is wiling to take me home.  I get my things out of Mrs Park's car, and transfer them.  I thank everyone, give a bow to the principal, and off I go.

I sincerely love my city school.  I know that I am indeed in a very special school because of how welcome they make me feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment