Saturday, December 4, 2010

Love From Home

Date: 12/5/2010

This should have been posted quiet some time ago, but I got very busy very quickly when Orientation came around.  So, without much further ado, I proudly must say, "I LOVE MY FAMILY!"

One of the hardest things about being abroad--if not the hardest--is being away from your family.  Yet, I've got an amazing family, who love me.  Not just getting up early in the morning to talk to me over skype, oh no.  These folks send also send me some really cool stuff in the mail.

The first piece of mail I got was from my Nana.  It was perfect because I was not the only one who had pleasure getting some mail.  I walk home and in the lobby of my little building, my landlord is reading a letter that is clearly not for him--I don't think he has my Nana as his grandmother.   He looks at me and gives me a huge Korean smile: "You've got mail!"  (The Koreans really love to quote movie lines!)  He spends the next five minutes telling me that it is from Hamilton (Is that a city, a town? Street name?), OH (Oh!  That's a state, right?!) and phonetically sounding out Roosu-Ann P-posut!  Who is Roosu An Posutu?  At first, I walked in and was like, "Buddy, do you know that looking through someone else's mail in the State is illegal?" But you could just tell by his excited expression that seeing an authentic evnelop from America was probably a really cool event.  He was like a little boy at Christmas.  He just wanted to practice his English reading skills. 

Then, about a week later, I got a notice on my door saying the postman had been to my door.  I figured that he had dropped off the packages to my landlord (the jubilant Mr Kim) so I head up to the fourth floor and knock on the door.  Mrs Kim is home, and she doesn't speak any English--so she ends up calling my co-teacher Ms Kim.  (No relation).   The next day, Ms Kim calls the post office in the morning and finds out that the packages could possibly fit in my mailbox, so she instructs him to leave them there (since the post office is only open from 8.30 to 4.30--which, unfortunately enough are the exact same hours as my school...)  I get home that day and I have not one, but TWO packages!  Talk about making a girl's day!

Mom sent me some fuzzy socks--which I put in my backpack so that when my feet get cold at school, I have something to put on.  I look just shy of ridiculous walking around with pink socks with white polka-dots but my feet are warm.  And if you think my fashion sense is a little strange, you should look as some of the Korean teachers--that's all I'm saying!

The second package was from my other grandma--who I call Grandma. I open up her package, not quiet knowing what to expect.  I am happily surprised to find a whole slew of Thanksgiving Decorations.  I have fold-up turkeys, garlands, window stickers, regular stickers, and huge table decor.  It was perfect!  This was the week before Thanksgiving--so the timing was perfect!  I decorated my kitchen.  There were a couple things--like the stickers and the fold-up turkey--that I could literally use in my classroom.  I was just in the middle of talking about Thanksgiving and it just so happens that I use a video involving the fold-up turkeys eating a pumpkin pie as the opener to my lesson.  They were perfect--couldn't have worked out more perfectly.

So I must admit that my family is the best.  Thanks for giving me unexpected little loves that make me smile and brighten my day.  I miss all of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment