Sunday, January 30, 2011

Winter Camp: Dancing Day

Date: 1/5/2011

Day Three!

Day Three was centered around Dancing and Music.  I figured this would be a fun way to get the kids out of their seats and moving around.  It didn't quiet go as well as I had planned, but *shrug* good days and bad days, neh?

I started off doing the "Shark Dance."  For an example of the Shark Dance:
I don't think the students like it.  Or they didn't get it.  I tried to example it was a "camp" song.  I thought it was a good transition between family day to dance day, but that aspect might have been lost on them.  Especially since the song ends with you (the singer) not having any legs.  The boys started laughing, rapid-fire Korean going, and Mrs Lee said that they said the song was very dangerous.

Next we passed around a worksheet with a bunch of different Musical Expressions on it.  "That was wicked!" "One for the mom and dad's."  "I liked the rhythm!" "It had a good beat."  "That was too commercialized."  They matched the phrases with the Korean phrases.

That was the first period.  Break time.  When the students came back, we watched 10 different types of musical genre clips and the students had to rate them 1 to 10 and apply a musical expression to the clip.  We watched everything from Bach's Prelude No. 1, Kiss' Shook Me All Night Long, Taylor Swift, Louis Armstrong, Achey Breakey Heart by Billy Ray Cyrus, Techno, and Bollywood.  Interestingly enough, Classical and Taylor Swift placed top and Country and Jazz placed last.

For the third period, I taught the students some sign language to go along with the song "Three Little Birds" by Bob Marley.  First they listened to the song and filled in some blanks.  Then we talked through the song.  I think they understood it. ...  Then I showed the sign language.  I had studied the night before, watching some clips.
What size bird?  That's right, Little Bird.
 Here are the kids:


"Rise Up this Morn"

Then we had the students come up in the teams that the made the first day and perform the songs:


The next day was Friday so we brought in popcorn and enjoyed High School Musical Three.  I had prepared questions the day before (which meant I watched HSM3 twice in under 24 hours....yeah...not sure I'm too proud of that fact).  We passed around a ball asking questions about the movie.  They seemed to really like it, although Joker and Macaw attempted to watch some Anime on one of their portable movie/cell phone thing-a-ma-bobbers.  Not on my watch boys!

No comments:

Post a Comment