Wednesday, January 12, 2011

New Years Eve Day

Date: 12/31/2010

After running into Mr Pillow Man on the Subway, we (Myself, Sarah-best friend-and Freddie--Sarah's friend from college) meet up with Scott (the man I went to EPIK orientation with, Sarah's co-worker, and fellow Jeju-trip traveler), Katrina (Scott's sister and 8.5 year Seoul SuperWoman), and Ryoko (Scott's sweetheart for 10 years).

We walk around Itaewon and head to What the Book? (The fabulous English Book Store in Seoul), and Katrina shows Sarah a "Big Size" Clothing store.  Or actually, it's just a Western Size clothing store.  Korean sizes are basically American 0-6, and everything else is "Large-e size."  While Freddie gets a hair cut, we all chill in Dunkin' Donuts reading our What The Book Purchases.

We got very educational reading material.



Sarah's book was great....It read like a bad soap opera.  I kid you not!  For example, there was a chapter called "Getting Serious."  Here is an excerpt, at least the English half:

Harder, Harder!
Faster, Faster!
More, More!


Was that good for you?
That was great for me.


I love you.
I love you too.
I don't love you.


Let's get married.
Will you marry me?


I don't want to get married.
I can't marry you.
I can't marry you, I'm already married.
This was a one night stand.

Yep Yep....classic stuff.  I love how all the *cough cough* loving words were in sets of two.  You can tell why we got the books.


Freddie--post hair cut. 
Next, we head to the Yeongdeongpo Market to pick up our tickets, have dinner, and meet up with some other people.

So, back on the subway!  It's a little busier this time.


Ryoko's feeling squished!

I see you Sarah!
Thank you to nice Korean who we got to take a photo of all of us.  I tried several times without success to get all 6 of us in the frame.  
It was FREEZING in Yeongdeungpo, but w brave it to the Times Square Building.  It's a fairly new building--a mall, I think.  At least, that's where the CountDown Seoul was held.  There were some cool sculptures out front:
It was only a week after Christmas, but someone is still getting their Christmas cards all worked out!
I loved this statue.  
A close up.
Apparently we were too early, so we went back to the subway station to have dinner--yeah, KFC!  An hour later, after stopping and buying some ear plugs (The best 2000 won I've spent in Seoul to date!), we went back to the mall and picked up our passes, wristbands, and drink tickets.  While waiting, I took a couple photos of the scrolly-words at the top of the building:
OK: Start off with the Poster for the event!
 Now...the scrollies.
COUNT DOWN
SEOUL
2011 (!!)
TIMES SQU (ARE!)
From this time on, we are now in the actual event. Get ready--it's gonna be a long one!

No comments:

Post a Comment