Wednesday, January 12, 2011

New Years Eve Laughs

Date: 12/31/2010

The week that was Christmas was very hectic for this catfish.  Not only did I travel to Jeju for Christmas, but it also brought the new year.  And I decided, along with my Jeju friends, to celebrate the New Year in Seoul Style!

We found tickets on a site called Interpark, which actually is in English and fairly easy to use!  This was exciting because it also has a huge list of events (concerts, musicals, guest artists, etc) happening in Seoul.  (Website: www.ticket.intercity.com)

We went to CountDown Seoul Times Square 2010.  It was in Yeongdeongpo Market--which I had never been to before.  (Later I learn that there's just a bunch of business buildings in Yeongdeongpo area so there had never really been a reason for me to go there.)

It was a time for fun and friends.  Sarah had a good college friend over Japan (He's also South African, but a JET-er--Japanese English Teacher).  Scott's long time friend/sweetheart Ryoko also was here from Japan.  We also met Kat (Scott's sister) and Patricia in Seoul...but I'm getting ahead of myself.

We travel up without any problems, until we get to the subway.  It took a really long time for everyone to get off, so Sarah was the only one who actually got on the car before the doors closed!  Thanks to the prior weekend's mayhem, we had worked out a plan that if this situation happened, the person would get off at the next stop and we would meet them.

So, Sarah got off at the next stop--and I called her to tell her to get on the next train (Because we were on it) and we would just meet up at Yaksu (the place we had to transfer lines at).  So, Sarah gets on the next car.  And she hears, "I don't believe it."  She looks up and is confronted with a man we have endearingly named Mr. Pillow Man.  Do you remember him?


Last week, when we had ridden up on Christmas Eve/Friday Night, my bag had gotten caught under all the people's arms and stuff, and I had been forced to lay my head on this stranger's shoulder.  He was very nice about it, not really minding if I took a picture, or was laughing my head off.  But for a good 30 minutes we were stuck like this...

Anyway, Sarah looks up a week later, on a different line, and at a different time, and there is my pillow! Mr. Pillow Man!  There are, what?, 13 Million people in Seoul?  We happen to run into this man 2 in one week?  What are the odds of that? REALLY!??!!

She smiles and Mr Pillow Man asks: "Where's your friend?"

Which is just fabulous!  Not only does he recognize Sarah, but he definitely remembers me!  I guess we made an impression!

We get off at Yaksu and Sarah is gushing, telling this story.  She had sent a text message, but I just thought that she meant the train was busy and full.  But no!  Urg!  I'm so jealous!  I would have loved to run into him again!

That being said, I am going up to Seoul this Saturday--cross your fingers!

No comments:

Post a Comment