Saturday, January 8, 2011

Jeju: Internet

Date: 12/25-6/2010

I have heard that South  Korea is one of the most internet connected places in the world.  So, because it was Christmas over my Jeju trip, I decided to take my computer.  Some people thought this was stupid (I had one fellow Adventure Korea traveler do some snotty, "Really?") comment, but I have a general policy of ignoring ignoramuses.  But I had planned to Skype my family after dinner/kareoke on Christmas Day.  I would have been midnight for me, but only 10 am for my family in America--which is when they generally start opening presents.

Long story shortened: I could not get my computer to connect to the internet at the hotel.  They had a wifi system (the housekeeper told me they had a famous Mongolian artists last summer so they had internet set up--my response: "of course...famous Mongolian artists...").  But I could not get my computer to connect--which was very upsetting.

Granted, in the past 5 hours Sarah and I had split 2 bottles of wine.  We weren't drunk, but we were pretty relaxed.  So when I couldn't get internet, it was a very easy slide into being very not happy.   I sniffled a lot, and my mascara ran.  But then I remember, I have a CELL PHONE!  Surely I can call them.

That led me to go to the "party room" and ask if any of the foreigners were American--which it turned out quiet a few were and they were able to help me figure out how to call home.

Which, in retrospect, might have been a mistake.  My family, who is forever giving me hell about not carrying my cell phone, didn't have they're phones on them.  Which, I understand because I said Skype--not phone.  But, that left me even more sad...and it left me talking to voice mails.

This was the mistake--I left a message. Being a little tipsy.  And being sad.  So I'm talking into the phone, "Hello *Sniffle sniffle* Merry Ch-*voice break*istmas!  I'm doing *sniffle sniffle* good.  I really *hiccup* miss you.  Can't get *sniffle* internet on Jeju.  I'm having a really *sniffle sniffle* good time--had Turke*voice break*y for dinner.  Talk *Sob sob* to you later.  Miss *sob!* you!"  "

Not exactly the most upbeat Christmas message.

But it resulted in an unexpected Day After Christmas walk up call.

5.45 am:

RING RING!   RING RING!

Me: "What the?....Errg....."Hello?"

Phone: (Shouting)"Maggie?  Mah-ggie?!"

Me:  Whispering (My roommates were still asleep...and hello, EARLY!) "What?  Dad?"

Dad: "Hello!?  Maggie?" Louder shouts " Can you hear me?"

Me (getting up and walking into the hallway) "Dad!" (I start sobbing again) "Dad!  I can hear you!"

Dad: "Maggie?  You there?  Hold on, let me get Mom.... MARTYY!!!!!  How are you?"

Me: "I'm....*sniffle sniffle....sob sob* good.  Merry Christmas."

Dad: "MARTY! ....  FINE, I"LL TALK TO MAGGIE ALL BY MYSELF!  That's good.  We got your messages."

Me: (weakly whispering) "Oh.  Sorry about those.  I'd had a little bit of wine *cross between a sniffle, hiccup, and laughter* "

Dad: "You doing okay?  Having fun?"

And then the conversation proceeded like normal.  There were some more tears when Mom got on the phone.  But looking back, I know next year I'll be telling that story over the Christmas table.

No comments:

Post a Comment