Saturday, November 13, 2010

Taxis and Cell Phones

Date: 11/12/2010

It is very inexpensive to take a taxi here in Gunsan, and more largely, South Korea.  I have not taken very many--because I like to walk and because I don't have spare cash--but they are a nice option in case it starts to rain just as you step outside.

On Thursday, I met a friend for some Chinese.  I took my 3,000 Won umbrella because I had actually checked the weather that morning and storms where in the forecast for night.  I was very glad I did take my 'brella because I needed it!

I get on my main street and BAM! rain starts pouring down.  It was the first time it had rained since I arrived in SK but rain is rain and it doesn't really vary very much wiether you are in Carmel, IN, USA or Gunsan, Jeollabuk-do, South Korea.  So I decided it was a good time to flag a taxi.

To do this, you stick your arm out horizontal, palm down, and flick your fingers back and forth when you see a taxi coming down the road.  No NYC action--waving goodbye, but the Korean style of "Come" with your hand facing down.  The taxi is open and ready to pick you up if their light is on.  The light is both on top and there is a glowing sign sitting on the dashboard.

So, I found a taxi, pulled them over, and hurry inside.  This is what it looks like--I have been very impressed with how clean the taxi's are here.  No stinking sweat smell...


Okay...so that doesn't really help you visual the inside of a taxi...but it's a taxi.

Once you sit down, you say where you are going with the City Location first, and then store name.  In this case, I said, "Naun-dong, Men Bali Chung Choon."  Naun-dong is the city "borough" and Men Bali Chung Choon is a restaurant that around where my friend lives.  Unfortuantely, in this case, the driver didn't know where Men Bali Chung Choon actually is...but that's the general idea.

I know you are wondering, "But Maggie, the driver didn't know where you were going...what did you do?" Answer:  I called my friend.  I got a cell phone this past week! so it I now am the proud owner of a communication device--thank God!  I have heard of people living without them, but it just seems like a lot of work and they are often miss out on things because things are planned rather late.

Anyway, to get a phone, Ms Kim took me to OZ Phone store--which there is basically one on ever street corner.  Did you know that Korea was the first nation to have more cell phones than land lines?  Yep.  True.

I love Ms Kim, because she did all the talking to the phone person.  I have been advised by other foreign teachers to get a pay-as-you-go plan-- or a PP.  I laugh every time I think of getting a "PP" but that's my silly mind.  I could have gotten a 1 year contract, but that was a 50,000 won start up fee, and then 40,000 a month.  The PP version is 10,000 won for 28 minutes--texts are not included, but they can be paid for. I do not know the price of texts so I am going soft on the texts for a while until I pay my first bill.   But, basically, this is what the store looks like:


Think Bright and PINK--it suits Oz Cell Phones very well.

The wonderful Ms Kim and nice phone lady talking about contract options.  


The ads in the phone store were really strange.  Very very effeminate men all slicked up and standing next to a smurf.  It was strange.  But...whatever.

But, not complaining because having a phone is a must for me.  It felt so strange to walk out of the house and not carry a cell phone--despite what my family thinks--when I am not lounging around home in Carmel, I carried my phone everywhere!!!!

1 comment: