Saturday, November 13, 2010

Oku School Festival (Part 1: Getting there)

Date: 11/12/2010

On Fridays I go to my country school.  The first week I was here, the fabulous Ms Kim called the country school and asked if they wouldn't mind me missing this week because it was the city's school's festival.  Then the next week (last week) I got a ride to my country school  by an English teacher.  But this was special treatment so that I could figure out the ride, so that I could take a bus from then on out.  I don't really understand why they can't pick me up every week--since she lives in Gunsan... I asked Ms Kim about this and didn't really give me an answer.

So, this past Friday was my first solo-trip to Oku Middle School.  And to top it off, it was the school's festival (just like the one I had at the city school!).  So no lessons to plan!  Woot woot!  I was excited because I sort of knew what to expect this time around--but I had to get there first.  And believe me, that's a little harder than it sounds.

I was told to take bus 34 by the country school teacher: Ms Joo.  But Ms Kim told me to take 31.  Since Ms Kim actually showed me the exact place where to wait for the bus, I planned on taking 31.   I got up early on Friday so I could push my morning routine back with a starting time at 6.40--not 7.20.  I got all ready, put on some cute shoes and was headed out the door by 7.45 to make it to the bus stop (a 10-12 minute walk).  The bus was suppose to come at 8.05 so I figured it would give me a couple minutes le-way and it would be good.

I get to the bus stop.  It looks like this:

 I know I'm at the right place because I double check which buses will come by:
That top row says 31-35.
I figured I'd just take the first bus that showed up.  I started to get worried at 8.12 when no buses had showed up.  Then, at 8.15, on the other side of the road, my bus No. 31 goes rumbling down the street.  I kinda stare at it, like, "Hey...that's my bus..." then my brain kicks into gear--"THAT'S MY BUS!"  I have to wait until I can dash across the street, and by the time I am able to cross, the bus has a huge lead on me.  I chase it for a while, but no luck.  Bye bye bye bus!  

I have one of those classic freak out minutes: I'm twirling around, stomping my foot, covering my face.  "Shoot! That was MY bus!" I had wanted to be a grown-up and make it to school like "yah, public transit, no problem!"  

So, I head back to my stop thinking in defeat.  I pull out my lovely new phone and call up Ms Kim.  She answers, and she's still at home with her babies.  I tell I missed the bus.  I explain I was at the "supposed" right stop, the bus was on the other side of the road, and I couldn't catch it.  As I'm talking to her, I decide to head down that side of the road and find the "right" bus stop.  It looks like this: 
Big difference, right?!  It actually has the exact numbers that the other stop had.  I am worried, the bus only comes every hour and 15 minutes.  There was no way I was going to realistically make it to school in time.  Already, with the bus that I had planned on taking I would arrive with 2 minutes to spare before class starts (which I think I really strange--I'm basically always going to arrive late because the teachers say its okay...).  

Then, while I'm trying to figure out what to do and waiting for Ms Kim to call me back, I head back up to my first/wrong stop and nibble on my thumb nail.  Then, to my amazement, another bus pulls up--BUS 31!  I guess the buses go two directions.  It's 8.23, but it's the right bus number so...as I speed dial Ms Kim, I pull out my bus fare (1,100 won) and board the bus.  


You drop your fare into that box at the top of the steps.

Ms Kim finally picks up and I explain that there was another bus and that I'm currently driving through Gunsan.  She asks me, "What is around you?" I look out some of the windows.  Big Problem: I can't read any Korean.  "Well, Ms Kim....um...there are apartment buildings..."  I figure that the bus route is a circle (At least I figured it was, I'm not sure) so even if I was on the wrong bus, I could ride it for an hour and 15 minutes and be back to where I got on.  

Then Ms Kim asks me if there are any young people around me.  I look to my right.  Yep.  Young people.  "Meggie, hand the phone to a young nice-looking person," Ms Kim commands me.  So I look around, and tap a female college student on the shoulder.

I extend the phone with a smile.  She looks at me like I have three eyes, slowly takes the phone, and says, "Annyehaseyo?" into the mouth piece.  I can hear Ms Kim start off in Korea.  The girl looks at me, smiles reassuringly, and nods.  She stands up, goes up to the front of the bus and starts off in Korean.  "blah blah blah blah blah" points to me, "blah blah blah blah blah." The bus driver looks up, makes eye contact with me, and nods with a grunt, "Ne..." (which I know is "yes" in Korean).  The girl gets back on the phone, spits off some more Korean and then hands the phone back to me.  I say, "Gamsa-hamneeda!" ("Thank you!") and the girl exits the bus.  I put the speaker back to my ear, "Hello?" Ms Kim says, "Don't worry, Meggie.  Bus drive tell you when to get off." I nod, thank her, with a "enjoy your bus ride" Ms Kim hangs up.  

About 25 minutes late, I start to recognize the town that Oku Middle school is in.  I take out my ear phones and start to pay active attention to my surroundings.  As I spy the road I know Oku is off of, the bus drive looks up at me, "Tee-cha!" and points down the same road.  He drives past it, which worries me, but about 100 ft later, pulls the bus over.  The bus drive says, "Tee-cha! Off!" And points to the door.  I bow, wave and say, "Gamsa-hamneeda!" and get off the bus.  I square my backpack and head back to the road. 

I turn on the road, and begin a 7 minute walk to school. 
I pass a police station.

I snap a picture to commemorate this trip--I look pretty good for feeling like a loser, completely lost and knowing that I'm so late.  I also have the wrong shoes on--so I can feel a blister forming.

One side of the street had the police building, the other some homes.  Korea does not understand the concept of zoning.
 Then, a blessed sight: my school!

 I have made it.  

Just writing all this down and remembering the day was exhausting.  But its only 9.15 in the morning.  A full day is still ahead and as I head towards the English room, I put a smile on my face and get ready for it.   

No comments:

Post a Comment