Monday, November 8, 2010

K Pop Music

Date 11/9/2010

Today I have only 2 classes.  I spent the morning preparing a Thanksgiving powerpoint and lesson plan and then had the rest of the afternoon to fiddle around on the computer.  I decided to do a bit of research.
One of the many questions I was asked this week by my  students was, "Do you know such-and-such song/group?"  I  had not really ever looked into any Korean Pop Music simply because I never had heard any.  But I am in their world now and if I were to flip on the radio station all I would hear is K-Pop.  So, the past couple of hours I have been goofing around on Wikipedia and Youtube, looking through video clips and exploring some of my student's favorite groups: Girls' Generation, Beast, and 2PM.  Here's what I found out:

1)  Girls' Generation (소녀시대)






These are nine girls from ages 19-22.  They're names are Taeyeon (the leader), Jessica, Sunny, Tiffany, Hyoyeon, Yuri, Sooyoung, Yoona, and Seohyun.  (I only mention their names because they are half English and half Korean, which I find interesting).  They sing bubble-gum pop songs.  They came onto the scene in 2007, but have really exploded the this last year.  They're most popular songs are "Hoot" (Oct 2010), Gee (2009), and RunDevilRun (2010).  They kind of remind me of a cross between PussyCat Dolls and Spice Girls. They're latest CD is Hoot (subtitled 009) and has the group dressed up like bond girls.

Songs:
2)  2 PM
2PM is a boy group that usually has 7 members, but right now only has 6 because of some internet controversy.   There was an original group called One Day and it split into two boy bands 2PM and 2AM.  2PM is known for their acrobatic dance moves. Their debute songs was "10 Jeon Manjeome 10 Jeom" (10 pints out of 10 points) and their first number one was "Again & Again" in early 2009.  They, um, well, they're a little too clean cut and plastic for me...


Songs:



***Just for Kicks and Giggles:  Here is a video featuring both Girls Generation and 2PM:  Cabi Bay  They did a tour together, so there is a whole slue of gossip about who's dating who and such...(Just FYI: it's a lot of half dressed Asians strutting around.)


3) Beast  (비스트)

Stylized as B2ST or BEAST, this boy group from South Korea has six members.  They debuted in 2009, where they officially changed their name from B2ST to BEAST.  They have won several awards from around East Asia and have many promotions in Taiwan (which is largely considered the music locale of East Asia.)  You can listen to "Take Care of my Girlfriend" (2010) and "Breathe" (2010) below:

Songs:

No comments:

Post a Comment