Friday, November 19, 2010

Oku School Festival (Part 2: Morning Auditorium)

Date: 11/12/2010

Picking up where I stopped off before my computer charger cord decided to go on the fitz (it only makes sense to be chronological about posting events--and boy do I have a lot to do this weekend!) (Yah for speedy delivery--thank you Apple Korea!): Oku School Festival.

Here is my school--I have finally made it!

Front Entrance (from the street view)
The courtyard.   To the right is the middle school and the high school is on the left.  My classroom is on the first floor on the right.  
I immediately go to my English room--but the doors are locked.  I knock on a teacher's office door and they guide me to the school's auditorium where the festival is being held.  I walk in right as the Principal is giving out awards and officially starting off the ceremony!

I love how all the students stand at attention, in nice neat rows.  It makes me laugh to think of an American school trying to pull this off--at least, I can't remember ever obeying any teachers telling me to be in a single file line with my homeroom class.

The program for the festival.  The far left is the morning's activities, middle is the list of the talent show, then the right is the front page.  I thought the "school picture" was very interesting--see below:

Okay: so the most important things about Oku MS:  they have a good choir, a fun shaped building, and they're male students can make shapes while jumping in the air...??? Sure...let's go with that.  
This lead to a short "serious" music portion of the morning.  Students played the piano, the choirs sang, and the clarinet/recorder choirs preformed.  I kid you not about the recorder choirs--I didn't know you could actually get music, let along different sizes of recorders, to play--but they do things a little different here in Korea.

This girl had major skills.   Below is a video of her song--listen to it!  It's pretty freaking amazing!

A mostly boys choir.  Which was interesting because, in American, you run short on guys very quickly.  I think this group only had 6 six girls and probably 3 times as many male singers.  Which, would make me very confused as what to do if I was a music teacher and faced with this conundrum...

The lovely commentators.  They did a very good job.
Which makes me want to point out the difference between a country school and city school.  My city school hired a professional commentator to do their school festival.  The country school--yah, these kids won by popular vote and teacher recommendations.
This is the recorder choir.  The two girls on the first row on the right have "base recorders" (?).  (?).  I didn't snap a video of them, because while they were good, it sounded just like a bunch of weird flutes in semi-tune.
After the performances were over, the whole middle school body played a game of T/F.  I must admit, the whole middle school student body consists of maybe 150 kids.  Which, in my city school, there are 9 classes (40 kids each) per grade (three grades).  Differences differences...

The T/F game goes like this.  The teacher asks a question, for example, the first question was, "Did Romeo kiss Juliette the first time they met?"  In front of the room, there is a teacher holding an X sign and an O sign.  (X=F and O=T---another Asian-ism).  The students move to the side of the room that they think the answer is on.  The teachers string a line up to indicate time for choosing is up and give answer.  In this case: O!  So, the kids who are on the WRONG side, lose and have to sit out.  The kids who win, stay around to play another round.  Keep going until you have only 1 player who = the WINNER!  Just in case you're curious--I lost in the first round.  I thought the first time Romeo kissed Ms J is during the Climb Up the Trellis scene. 

Here are some pictures: 

Everyone chooses sides....

Tape drawn...you are committed to your answer now.  And then....your fate is determined.  

The lucky last two!
That concluded the morning auditorium session....because there is so much to write about for a day like this--and many videos and pictures, I'm going to end this post.  But...more to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment