Saturday, November 13, 2010

Pepero Day

Day: 11/11/2010

Koreans have a lot of holidays--some actually holidays and some just for fun.  Pepero Day is a "just for fun" holiday.  It's kind of like Valentine's Day, in regard that it is an entirely commercially-driven holiday.  Basically, students buy pepero sticks (a cookie covered in chocolate--although sometimes the chocolate is flavored like coffee, or banana, or butter).  If you've ever heard of Japanese Pocky sticks, you know what I am talking about.  Pepero are the Korean version.

The cool thing about Pepero Day is that the students don't give the Pepero to other students--they give it to teachers!  So I finally have some chocolate in the house--thanks to all my students!



Talking about candy, this is a popular "dessert" in Korea: A Rice Cake.  I say "dessert" because it is often just a snack.  Anyway...it is pounded rice so that it is very gelatinous, then rolled with bean paste, then another layer of pounded rice, and finally some whole beans.  It is...better hot than cold.  It doesn't really have a taste--pounded white rice and unsalted beans...not much to work with there flavor wise.  I get one about 3 or 4 times a week--I think a mom brings them in for all the teachers.  I always smile, say thank you, open it, take a bite (hoping that it will be better than the last time) and end up wrapping it back up.  I once did not eat it immediately after receiving, and I had a teacher come up an hour later and ask me if I had tasted.  Because of the language gap, I ended up having to eat it in front of her.  Since then, I have always ALWAYS taken a couple bits as soon as I get it--since they are warm that way--and then discretely hide it until I can throw it away.  I don't like throwing it away, but really, I cannot eat them like the Koreans do.  Just not an option--sorry!

No comments:

Post a Comment