Friday, November 5, 2010

ARKK 3: Mr Kim

Date: 11/3/2010
ARKK

As I have said before, I was put in a crummy apartment way out in nowhere.  But with the help of the ever fabulous Ms Kim, I was able to move into a nice, new, fantastic apartment very close to my school.  Mr Kim (no relation to Ms Kim) is my new landlord and he is fantastic!

Mr Kim is an English teacher and he owns an apartment complex.  He told that technically Mrs Kim owes the place, but he's the one who speaks English so he's the one I will be talking to.  It is quiet common for teachers to live in a studio apartment and he has 5 other teachers renting from him.  A couple math teachers, a science, and a man who teaches Chinese Characters.

Anyway, he's pretty fabulous.  He actually waived the $2000 deposit for signing a contract--which is standard Korean practice that I would get back once I complete my contract, but since it is a special situation and because I promised to be "a good teacher.  Not bad--not leave until contract finish" he waived the deposit fee.

Yesterday I was on my way to school and a car suddenly pulled up to me.  Mr Kim rolls down his window and waves me in, "Maggie!  Get in!" I jump in, all excited because it is quiet cold outside.

We talk a little bit--which is the standard Noun. Question.  Short answer...nodding.

Kim: "You walk...err.. to school?"
Me:  "Yes.  Quiet close."
Kim: "Ahh.  How...err..long?"
Me: "Not far.  15 minutes."
Kim: "Ahh, yes.  Good walk?"
Me: "Yes.  Good."
Kim: "You...cold?"
Me: "Yes.  I am stuffy."
Kim: "You...err...go to doctor?"
Me: "No.  I went to pharmacy.  Got medicine.  Am getting better."
Kim: "Ahh.  Good."

After a little bit of a pause, he says,

Kim: "You tell teachers that...err... boyfriend take you to school!"
Me:  "Yes!  My korean boyfriend!"
Kim: "You lucky girl!  You beautiful!  Many Korean boyfriends!"
Me: "No. Only one!  You!"


It is a very short ride to school, so he drops me off then and I find I have an extra 15 minutes before school starts.  This really works in my advantage because I had alot to do that morning.  I have 5 classes and a Teacher's Conversation class on Thursday so it was good get to school early!  Thanks Mr Kim!

No comments:

Post a Comment