Monday, November 8, 2010

Fire Drill!

Date: 11/9/2010

I was very glad that I brought my camera today--we had a FIRE DRILL today!  And not just like a plain, boring American fire drill where you don't learn anything, but a cool, Korean type fire drill.

The Fire Captain came out and watched over the entire thing.  

Our "fire."  I was sad--I've seen postings where the school actually lights a pile of wood on fire to extinguish.  But we are a city school...

Run out of the building students!

So this speaker blasted the fire siren.  You all know what that sounds like, right?  Well, about 15 seconds of this playing and I had the irresistible urge to run around, waving my hands, and screaming "GODZILLA IS COMING!"  Unfortunately, I was in the wrong country.  When I mentioned this to Ms Kim she just looked at me like I was crazy. Totally missed the point.  But I couldn't help myself, for a while I was a mess of giggles: GODZILLA!!

Fire Truck!  Not the mammoth, gas guzzling monstrosities of USA, but like all vehicles versions in Korea, much smaller.
Okay--now our "fire" has some action!

Go Teacher GO!!

Apparently we have a hose!  
The Fire Truck has a bigger hose.
We showed by example how to take someone out of the school by stretcher.  I noticed that it was "my brother" Tae-hu in the stretcher!  Oh no!
One of our teachers saluted the fire men...He was reporting that the training was finish!


Tae-hu miraculously survived!!

The Fire Captain was telling us we all did a good job.  I think the teachers did more work than the students--they were throwing sand around during most of the demonstration.  But, still, I learned a lot...and had fun!  Oh, what fun and unexpected joys are in South Korea!

No comments:

Post a Comment