Friday, November 19, 2010

Oku School Festival (Part 5: School Lunch)

Date: 11/12/2010

This gets it's own short blog because I have been served this type of meal at both schools now--and I have something to say about it.

I DO NOT AGREE WITH HOTDOG WEENIES BEING AN ACTUAL PROTEIN!

NO SIR!

Koreans, for reasons that confound me, seem to think that if you cut up little cocktail hot-dog weenies, put them in some sort of Korean sauce with some random Asian vegetable, that you have a complete meal (well, in addition you throw in some kimchee, kimchee bean sprouts, rice, a soup, and a sweet potato mousse) but basically, the meat of the day was hot-dog weenies.

My meal: white rice, a sweet potato mousse, a soup (that I didn't really like) and in the upper right corner, the weenies.  *shudder* no thank you!

The student's meal: they also got the kimchee ad pickled other things.  I wasn't feeling those.  I should mention--the soup--it is a fish curd soup.  Just the word CURD makes my stomach churn so, as you can probably image, I end up not eating alot.  I basically put some rice on my spoon, dip it in the broth of the soup and put in mouth.  

This is just a quick shot of the students getting their lunch.  It is a LOT less crowded than the city school.
I did not have a good lunch on the festival day.

Luckily there was other food for sale outside.  I got a slice of pizza later on, and I have gotten in the habit of bringing an orange or banana in my backpack just in case I get hungry between meals/if lunch isn't good.  Those saved me--or I would have been a grouchy, hungry American.  Oh--and I also had that whole lemon.  They filled me up just fine.

No hot-dog weenies for me, THANK YOU!

No comments:

Post a Comment