Monday, April 11, 2011

Teacher's Walk

Date: 3/13/2011

My school is pretty awesome and we go on Teacher's Walks about twice a semester.  A little while ago, we went on our first walk of the year around a local park called Wolmyeong.  Wolmyeong is the closest thing we have to a mountain in Gunsan.

We started out by riding up to a big church.  I've been told there are over 400 churches in Gunsan alone, which if true is jaw dropping because there are only 270,000 people in Gunsan, but I'm not going to judge.  Anyway, we were up on a hill so I knew we were starting our walk off right.


The park had nice paved paths around the central lake, and then you could go "off the beaten path" to go hike the mountain al natural.
My VP  is facing up and then my co-teacher Mrs Kang has her face turned away.   
Mrs Park, who is not my co-teacher this year, but I still go talk to her about 3 times a week.  She is a pretty amazing woman--this picture does not do her justice...sorry.

Strut your stuff Seohyung Teachers!

The lake....it was pretty chilly outside, but the colors were very beautiful


The sign showing you can go "off roading" here.  I love the birds.


"Peer" out into the lake.


There were a whole bunch of benches underneath all these pine trees and I was really confused.   So I asked Mrs Park and Kang to explain it to me.

Apparently the Koreans believe that if you rest under the pine trees (cedar or something like that) the scent of the trees heals cancer.   Mrs Park's mother had cancer and she said that her mother came and walked Wolmyeong every day while she was sick, resting for about 30 minutes to an hour underneath the trees and she got better.
Where you rest under the trees.

An extremely decorated bird house

Sit and enjoy the view....


Like many things in Gunsan, this walk way is new.


We hiked a little way off the path so Mrs Kang and Park could show me some sights of Gunsan.  So here are a bird's eyes view of my little port town.


A peace memorial monument.

No comments:

Post a Comment