Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Guitar Club

Date: April

As mentioned, I started a whole slew of activities this month.  My Mondays and Tuesdays are a little crazy: During lunch I have Taekwon-do, during the extra period after school I'm in the guitar club, I get a little time for dinner and then I'm off to yoga in the evenings.

I really enjoy guitar club.  I was a little fearful for it the first couple of times because basically, I"m learning an instrument in a foreign language.  I have a strong music background, but I don't really have any direction because the teacher can't really communicate anything to me.  Except, when she writes things on the board--notes and keys and such.  That I understand.

It is fun to learn because Koreans go all "Sound of Music" when talking about music.  The notes are not C, D, E, F, G, A, B, C--but Do, Re, Mi, Fa, Sol, La (ra), Te (shi), Do.  (Some of the notes don't have the exact same name, but I figure it out.  It's not that different).   I did learn this naming system at school (and via Maria) but I do not look at Third Space in the treble clef and think: Oh, Do, of course.  I think 'C.' So I am slowly normalizing myself in Solfege land.

It is also interesting because I am in a class with a bunch of my students.


my fellow classmates.

Song No. 1!
I play top row.  It was not very exciting....


During break one of the students entertained me with Mario songs. He had quiet the collection

My teacher.

The only thing I can understand in when she "teaches."
Oh, did I forget to mention that she doesn't write "Sol" on the board.  No...she writes 살
It's a good thing I learned how to read...
 Excerpts from the "Classics Piano Book" :
 They need an English lesson:

No comments:

Post a Comment