Sunday, April 24, 2011

PSY Concert

Date: April 23, 2011

On Saturday, my friends Mihye and Sarah and I traveled to Jeonju to go to the Psy Concert.  Jeonju is about an hour away, and the concert was at the Chunju University Performance hall.  (Just in case you are wondering Jeonju and Chunju are the same place--just difference spelling.  Yeah, Korean can be tricky like that...thumbs down!)

Anyway, I had only heard Psy's most recent song "Right Now" and I really enjoy the song.  So I was hoping, crossing my fingers that I would enjoy a whole concert of him.  I was a little nervous when I hear that he was a rapper, but Right Now is not a rap song so I figured it was only one night and it would be fun.

A little history about Psy, because it is fun to know some background information.  He is 35 years old, and got in some trouble recently because he tried to get out of the mandatory military service. So he had to do two terms (one term is 2 years--so he did four years).  This album is his fifth (It's called PSY Five). He does not really fit into any sort of genre, but is categorized as a "rapper" on Wikipedia, and is known for his sense of humor and unique concerts where he imitates Korean celebrities.

He did not let down on this concert.  I am a full fan advocate after the concert.  It was a blast.  One of the best performers I have ever seen  (not that I have seen many) but Psy was just fun.  I did not have understand ...basically any of what he was saying to have fun--although with the help of Mihye, I did get some clues and could follow the basic plot of the night.  It was just a blast.

But I am getting ahead of myself.  Let me take you through my night.

We arrive at the concert hall and there are these posters out in front.  I was a little worried about the vein of the concert when I saw these...they are just creepy!
Psy as a...baby?  maybe?

Ginseng Psy.  This one is just flat out creepy

Fire-eyes Psy...
 Then we get into hall and he's talking.  He looks pretty normal--for Psy.  He reminds me of Elton John in some regards--just the flamboyant-ness of his costumes.  Glitz and glitter all the way.
 The Korean style of concerts is different than America. Basically, the performer will do a couple songs (a "set") and then stop and talk to the audience.  We were at a small venue (only 1400 people) so there was some fun interaction.  He made fun of a couple that were sitting down during his performance.



Mihye and Sarah
 The first song we saw Psy perform was a jazz pop song (we were a little late so we didn't see his opening number, bummer!  but this one worked just fine for us!)




After each set, a lady would come out onto stage, and change Psy, then wipe his face off (He was sweaty!)  His outfits were always envoking Elton John--just look below:


I like this shot of him from behind, looking out to the audience.  Lots of glow sticks.
 He sang all sorts of music.  We saw a jazz song (he did the Charleston, of all things), a couple ballads, a song about his father, hip-hop, rap, and some pop.  He did not stick to one genre and that made the night that much more entertaining.  You never knew what what going to happen.  But it was always good.


 About 2/3 of the way through the concert we had a guest singer: Hiromi (maybe?)  She had a beautiful voice.

After her, Psy came back out with, I think, a signature perforamce for him.  He imitated some of the current top female celebrities.

First was a Wonder Girls knock off.  His face is stuck on to the body of the singer on the big screen, while he dances down on stage.  Seeing a not-totally-ripped man shake his money maker in a belly-displaying outfit was awesome.


Then he puts on a little sailor outfit (and I do mean little) and performs "Gee" by Girl's Generation.



The lights dim and we see him pulling off his pants.  I got a little nervous about that move, and then, when the lights flip back on, Ms Beyonce's Single Ladies come out loud and clear and Psy is in this itty bitty little number.


It was was the highlight of the concert.  Sarah and I agreed that he could do an hour of imitations and we would have been completely happy.  He poked fun at himself and the industry.


A quick shot of the entire audience and Psy in front.  Mihye, Sarah, and I are in the 2nd balcony on the left.
 He finished his concert in about 2 hours.  But...it wasn't over.  The audience suddenly started chanting "an-chor an-chor!"  I couldn't figure out what "an-chor" was, until Mihye and Sarah both shouted at me: "ENCORE!"  Ahh...click!  Light bulb!  The encore, no joke, was 2 hours longs.  It was as long as the concert.  We would not let him leave.

He sang and danced for us.  It was a blast.  You could tell he was having a good time.  He drank a whole flask of soju--so that also could contribue to his happiness--but he seemed to enjoy the crowd.

At the end of the concert, we got a few more pictures of us with the posters decorating the lobby.




It was a great night...even though, Mihye and I had to get up in the morning--bright and shiney early to go run a 5k--but that was good too.

If Psy ever does another concert nearby--heck, I could even go up to Seoul--it would be worth it--I would love to go.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing this! It’s very helpful! Would love to see more updates from you.

    Melbourne Entertainment Venues

    ReplyDelete