Monday, April 25, 2011

Fire Drills

Date: April 18, 2011

I was finishing up lunch and headed back to my teacher's room when one of my co-teachers, Mrs Bae, tugs on my arm and says, "Come here!"  (meaning, come this way!)  I happily follow her, she wants to talk, I'm totally game.  And then we round the corner to the back of the school and I see what she wanted to show me.

The 1st Graders are learning fire safety.  I think the pictures explain themselves.  I was actually very jealous.  It is a stupid reaction, but part of me went, "I've never used a fire extinguisher!"  But then the grown-up inside of me smacked the baby part of me and said, "Grow up and Go GET YOUR CAMERA!"


YAHHH!!!!
 Now, I know learning how to use a fire extinguisher is very important in case you need to ever use it in real life.  But I think the Koreans are on to something here.  I mean, when you need to put out a fire, you don't stop and read the directions on how to use the extinguisher.  Yes, I think I have vaguelly been told how to use an extinguisher--I think, maybe--but in any sort of panic, I probably would totally forget what I had been told.  At least these kids have actually removed the pin, aimed and fired (err...extinguished).


So, for anyone who is interested: Here are the steps, in picture format:

Step 1: Remove Pin

Step 2: Aim (Nozzle up)  Step 3:  Squeeze the trigger.  
 The canisters were dying when I arrived so here is Mr Jong changing a hydrant.
So, just a little school fun on a normal Monday morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment