Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Thailand: Wat Arun

Date: 2/14/2011

After the Grand Palace/Wat Phra Kaew and lunch, Kerry and I went to go see Wat Arun (Temple of the Dawn).  We weren't quiet ready to call it quiets from tourist-ing so we hopped on the Chao Phro Express and for 7 baht (aka: 50 cents or 500 won), got on the other side of the river.
 Wat Arun, I think, is a differently style or from a different time period of Thailand's history.  I hazard to say the Lanna Era, but am not really sure.  It is not as gold and glittery as Wat Phra Kaew--not at all, but it still quiet beautiful.  I like the old.  And you can tell there is history and stories in the walls, even if you can't read/decipher them.
 On the boat...woop woop!
 The Entrance:
We were trying to figure out how to get in (where to buy tickets) when I noticed a lady with all these robes, and I thought, "Can I seriously play dress up?!"  So I go over and offer a big smile, pointing to the clothes.  And guess what?!  For 100 baht (1 US $) you can play dress-up in traditional Thai clothes!

Since I had no idea what specific colors might mean, I asked her to pick out the best one.  She said green would go with my "beautiful, pale skin."  I grumbled to Kerry, "this is why I am in Thailand...to get rid of this beautiful, pale skin.  Burn me to to crisp, baby!" (with the aid of sunscreen--of course!)

And this goes here....


This across here...

Jewelry--and important part of any ladies outfit!

Love the nails!  Best Manicure I've ever had!

Top it off with a hat and BAM!
 All set!  So pretty!

Every once and a while, the lady who dressed me would come over and set my hands in the correct positions.  I didn't know what I was doing so I gladly thanked her.

In front of the river!
In front of the green space!

Kerry and I.
I de-robed and Kerry and I headed into the Temple.  Which means, back into long pants.  It was HOT!  Like, 34 degrees (Celsius, of course!)  So that is roughly 94 degrees Fahrenheit.  So I was voluntarily in a place they make you wear pants to in 94 degree weather.  Yeah, what one does when they want to see tourist sites!
Pretty Wat Arun

Poor Demons, should have been good in human life!  Otherwise you wouldn't have to hold up temples for the rest of your unnatural lives!

These were just the beginning of the steps of this temple.  And these steps, they were short compared to the ones coming up!


Up to the first "floor"/ "tier."  

Smile Kerry!  Kimchi!  Chee-zu!  

On our way up to the Second "Floor"/"Tier."   *Shocked gasp* Did I take that photo of a stranger's bum?  Of COURSE not!  Hehe

This set of steps was by far the most dubious.   Narrow, with barely 6 inches (18 cm) of ledge to put your foot on, and a good foot or foot and 1/2 actual vertical step....they were a pain!  But look how far we have come!

My turn!  (Although, I think I'm going down here...)
Spot the monk!  I spy!
 View from the top!
That's the Grand Palace and Wat Phra Kaew on the other side of the river.  
After we take our sweet time walking back down, clutching the handrails as though they hold our life in their little screws, nuts, and bolts, we proceed to walk around the temple.  There's not much else to see.  You basically go there to hike up the steps and then you have finished with most of what the temple has to offer--unless you find things like monkey statues interesting.  Guess what?!  I DO!
No, there were other things to see too.

For example, you can pray to your favorite boddhisatva (spelling??), as see here:
You buy little coins (I don't understand why you can't use real coins, unless they are single baht coins and people really don't have those laying around), and drop them into the bowls (traditional, prayer bowls) while making wishes/prayers, etc.  I imagine each figurine stands for something different, kinda like saints.  (Maybe?)

This guy is quiet popular!
 You can also make prayers/wishes by writing your wish on a bill (20 or 50 baht) and stapling it to make lantern-like-things.

There must have been 30 of these lanterns strung on this string.  I kinda wonder if they burn them, or how they are released.  
 Finally, Kerry and I decided to relax with a refreshing treat: Coconut! To be more specific, Kerry learned I had never had coconut milk from an actual coconut and decided she was going to treat me:
 Yummy yummy!  Actually, it wasn't the best taste--an "off" sort of water flavor.  But I was so excited to have coconut that it made it worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment