Sunday, March 6, 2011

Desk Moving

Date: Feb 28, 2011

In Korea, March 1st is a National Holiday, celebrating the National Independence movement back in 1910 when Korean university students marched against the Japanese imperial rule.  So, the last day of Winter break came on Monday, February 28th.

I did not know what to expect for school because for the two weeks where I had been "desk warming," I had it easy.  I came in on the Mondays of the week, and would go talk to my co-teachers.  Then around 11 they would say, "Maggie, you can go home."  I would hadn't been sure when I needed to come in, so I asked them, "Ms Kim, when should I come in tomorrow?"  Their response, "Oh, I don't think you need to come in tomorrow."  Really?!  So I would ask about Wednesday--and recieved the same response.  "No, I don't think you need to come in..."

Did I mention I love Korea?

So, I came in on the last day of the winter break and was prepared for anything.  I had a pleasant surprise of Desk Moving.   There is a new 1st Grade Teacher's Office, and most teachers have been assigned as Home Room Teachers, so there is a giant shuffle to change desks, make room for new teachers, and get everyone settled in before the new year.  I was included in this organized chaos.

It actually was really good to be back in the office with everyone.  It had been a long time since I had seen many of the teachers so it was a reunion of sorts.

My old desk

Where my new desk will be--after the previous teachers gets going...
 Some students, for some reason, were at school helping the teachers move desks.  In America, they would be the "bad students," usually doing this as some sort of detention.  But these kids were laughing, joking, and having a good time with the teachers.  So...I don't think it was any sort of punishment.  But they were very tech-savvy and I was SO glad I didn't have to figure out how to move my computer.

Which, that being said, you move the whole computer: monitor, tower, keyboard, and all the wires.  I think at home you would only move the harddrive tower thing because that's where all your work is.  But they moved everything.

 I sent a text to my friend saying, "Muahaha!  I have slaves!"  It was only partly false.
 Then, Mrs Kang--the lady in the photo--bought everyone lunch.  Bibimbap--my favorite!  But she had it delivered and this man in the helmet basically dropped off our food (which is not so unusual in Korea--everything can be made To Go) but it is still a novelty to me.  After we were finished with the meal, the dishes were put outside on the school steps and after a couple hours the man would come back and pick them up.

No comments:

Post a Comment