Monday, March 28, 2011

Seohyung Student Body Elections

Date: March 25, 2011

It is the beginning of a new school year here in Korea.  I realized that while I may now understand the Korean school calendar, it has only been normalized for me because I actually live it.  So, quickly, here is a rough break down of the school year for my Korean students.  I should make a note: this is MY understanding of the calendar--which basically is only half complete because I've only lived half the calendar (believe it or not, I have not received a "Year Calendar" for 2011.  I don't actually know when summer break or anything like that is!--I have asked for it, but no word yet...)

March: School Starts (1st Semester)
April: School
May: Early May is Children's Day and School Foundation Day and such, so there are a couple breaks
June: School...maybe?  I think 1/2 way through, I think we go on summer vacation.
July: I think this is when Summer break is.  Not really sure...
August: School picks back up--2nd semester.
Sept-Oct-Nov: School like normal
December: Exams are 2nd week in Dec.  Have another 3 weeks of class, but it's not tested on (yeah, don't understand that one)
Jan: Winter break.
Feb: Feb 7, 8, 9th are graduation days.  then the rest of the month is off.

I  realize now that I have written this that my understanding of the school calendar is completely bogus.  Fail.  Epic Fail.  Sorry readers.

Anyway, I think what I was trying say was that the 1st semester starts in March and the 2nd semester is in August.  (Unlike the American counterpart where school starts in August.)

That was a really long tanget just to lead into my topic for this post.  Because it is the beginning of the school year, it is time for student body elections.  Students run for body president and vp.  I know that back home I didn't care, but I think being in Korea puts a little glitz and glammor on most of the seemingly mundane things.  For example: Oh look rice!  Lets take a picture!  a piece of paper--picture!  people--ooh! picture time!

ANYWAY!  I came to school one day and was greeted by a boat load of students cheering for the candidates.


 As a teacher I shouldn't have favorites, but I can't really help myself.  I only know the students who are in my classes and of those, I really do have the ones that are "special" and "...special."  So when I recognized one of the students faces posted all over the cardboard signs I couldn't help but be very excited for one Kim Jae Han.
Kim Jae Han's cheering committee (A little camera shy, but loud and cheery nonetheless)

 In Middle School, the sexes are segregated on everything.  It is a little ridiculous--definitely still at the stage where boys and girls have coodies!  COODIES!  RUN AND COVER!  They sit on opposite sides of the classroom and DO NOT interact. (Tangent time: I made the first graders interact in this week's lesson--the boys had to go ask the girls what time they did X activity--and it was like pulling teeth.  I had to literally drag a couple students over to the girls side of the room so they would start to interact.  One girl actually did a "Tee-cha!  No No!" She crossed her arms at me and pointed to a boy and "Tee-cha!  NooOOoooO!  Bad boy! Bad boy!"  I mean, come on!  Seriously?)

Back on topic.

The sex segregation is not in the classroom. For the election cheering--there was a boys side and girls side.


"Tee-cha!  PICTURE?!  OK!  Chee-zu!"

 This is Kim Jae Han.  He was in my classes last year and he is just a nice guy.  He wasn't the best English speaker but his attitude was just polite.
 The opposing team Mascots:


 Just sitting around.
 Posted outside the cafeteria are the posters for the student candidates.  I love the SpongBob poster.  Of course...

I snapped a quick movie of the chants that the students were singing for the different candidates.

The election actually is not just students dancing and parading around the school yard chanting different people's names.  There is actually a performance part of the election process.  Apparently a few years ago one of the candidates got up on stage and danced/sang/did an act and he won.  So now, at Seohyung, there is a tradition of the candidates doing some sort of performance.

UNFORTUNATELY!  The performances were held on a Friday...and I go to Oku Middle School out in the country on Fridays!  SAD FACE!  I was very sad to hear that I wouldn't be able to see the performances, but!

On Saturday, I was heading to have lunch with Sarah and some friends and ran into Kim Jae Han and his posse.  AND GOOD NEWS!  He WON!  They were coming out of the place I was heading into and I think they just had the celebratory party.  They recognized me and did this "Tee-cha!"  and the girls of the group start gesturing emphatically to Kim and saying, "Winner! Winner!"

So, congratulations, Kim Jae Han!

No comments:

Post a Comment