Monday, March 28, 2011

Hobbies

Date: March

I don't quiet know how it happened but this month it seems like I picked up a few hobbies.  Or maybe, all my hobbies that I had said I would start, all started in this month.

1. Yoga.
This hobby was a complete unexpected surprise.  I met a new friend Mihye a couple weeks ago and she invited us to try out her yoga class.  Sarah and I were game so we packed up some sweats and headed to "Hot Yoga" to try out a class.  We went in to pay for the class and find out that you can only pay for a months worth of classes (3 or 5 times a week).  3 times a week for 4 weeks is 80,000 won (around $80) and 5 times a week for 4 weeks is 90,000 won (around $90).  I figured even if I went twice a week, it would be worth it.
I'm one week in (4 classes) and I do believe I am hooked.  It is Hot Yoga--Bikrihim (?) yoga.  The room is 38 degree celcius (around 100 degree F).  HOT!  But you sweat so much!  And there is a different type of yoga every day so you get a different workout every time you go in.  I really enjoy it--it is my type of work out.

2.  Guitar
Next week all the after school clubs start.  And one of those clubs is Guitar Club.  I bought a guitar off a foreigner who was leaving about 1 month ago (early Feb) and have basically only learned the names of the strings, how to tune, and one or two chords.  But, hopefully, next week I should start really learning. Granted, it is going to be in Korean, but I think (hope!) that just watching I can learn something.  (I can't understand what the instructor in Yoga is saying, but by watching I know what I'm supposed to be doing.)  I'm hoping the same principal will apply to guitar.  Maybe. Please?!

3.  Taekwon-do
Late last year, one of my gym teachers and a "Korean father figure" said that he would teach me Tae Kwon Do.  I was totally game.  I mean, Tae Know Do was invented in Korea.  I would love to go home saying I learned a martial art in it's home country.  That just sounds really neat to me.

Next week, (it is an after school club) Tae Kwon Do starts.  Mr Sung said he would teach me during lunch every day (for around 30 minutes).  It is going to be very interesting.  I can't wait to see what happens.

4.  Korean Lessons.
I had a couple Korean language lessons this past month and to supplement what I was learning from my korean friend.  A going away gift my Dad got me was the Korean Rosetta stone.  I am slowly working my way through it.  It is neat to hear words that you actually know in real life.  I went to lunch with Ms Kim and her boys last weekend and I actually understood an exchange between Ms Kim and her oldest son Saekjin.  It was something along the lines of "eat this spaghetti!" "okay.  That's good!'  "Eat more! ' I probably made a fool out of myself by exclaiming, "OH MY!  I understood that!!!!"  I definitely made Ms Kim laugh.

But I really enjoy the hobbies I've started and hopefully will keep up.

No comments:

Post a Comment