Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Random Happenings in the Teacher's Room

Date: 3/23/2011

I was sitting at my desk, listening to music (only 1 earphone so that I can still hear if there is a commotion or my name being called/talked about) when two of my favorite teachers start doing something random right next to me:


I whip out my camera (which was sitting on the desk next to me as I had just taken photos of the gym class outside) and snap a shot.  There is a whole conversation going on around me.  I cannot figure out for the life of me what is going on.

Son Teacher (the male) is grabbing the pinkies of Itou Teacher, and pinching them.  Then he'll grab her middle finger and pinch the nails.  But Itou Teacher will give a girlish squeal and squirm until she can clasp her fingers to her chest.  Son Teacher doesn't give up though, and keeps manipulating her hands.  I couldn't figure out....


Until my VP--the female in the background--points to her head and says, "Head ache."  Ahhh!  Light bulb!  Son Teacher is pinching pressure points to try an alleviate Itou Teacher's headache.  Got it!  I had wondered why Itou Teacher had spent the whole morning asleep in her chair with heat packs and a towel over her face.

After this goes on for a good five minutes, we play one of my favorite Korean Games: Guess My Age-e!  I have been told that Teacher Itou is the oldest teacher at the school, but how I am to guess her age, and then 4 teachers after her.  I am horrible at this game.  Luckily, they give me a break and end up writing the number on their palms after I balk.

There are many variations of this game:  "Guess how long I've been in Korea" and "Guess the Waegook/Foreigners' Age" are two other popular games.

But it is just a normal day in the office here at Seohyung Middle School.  

No comments:

Post a Comment