Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Lunch Time Drama

Date: 6/1/2011


I feel like I could start a whole blog on what happens in the lunch room.  Seriously.

I was eating lunch today--not great, btws- and two things happened.

One: I was a monkey.  Mr Song (taekwondo teacher) had me repeat the number 1-10 in Korean.  I have been using Korean counting in Taekwondo so he wanted to show me off.  I stuggled on 8 and 9, but I made it.  Everyone clapped for me and Mr Song explained (what I caught of it) was that I was counting in Korea in Taekwondo.  Good for Maggie--after 2 months of Taekwondo I can count to 10--sort of.  :0

Then a man walked in with the other teachers that I had not seen before.  I had a moment of "Oh my goodness, do I really not know a teacher?  I've been here how long and I don't know one of the teachers!?!"

So I asked about him. "Um...man in blue jacket...teacher?  Sasenim?"    Mrs. Park was across the table 4 people down.  I was sitting with my ajamma teacher (the one who loves me) and Mr Song (taekwondo teacher) plus others from the office and other friendly faces.

Table Layout:

English Speaker     Teacher Itou     Mr Song   Person Person      Mrs. Park
  Office                      Ajamma         Taekwondo                           English Teacher
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Office Worker            Me              Music Teacher     Person Person Principle

So, I ask the whole table, but Ms Park answers.  She goes, "oh...no.  He is ..." something or other because I didn't actually hear.  But I got the important part of the answer.  Anyway, when I has asked everyone had stopped eating and froze, looking at me.  Like what I was speaking was super import or fascinating.  Then there was the initial confusion as to who would answer my question....in which they eventually all turned their heads to Mrs Park. She answers.  I nod and resume eating.

AS SOON AS I look back down at my plate the table EXPLODES into discussion.  The teacher on my left AND right AND Mr Song AND Teacher Itou all look to the teachers who can speak/understand english.  Mr Song was the first to lean over to Ms Park and ask "What'd she say?" then it was like a flood gate, everyone around me turned to a known "english understander" and asked the same question.  They got satisifactory answers because everyone nodded and went, "ah, hmm...neh [yes]."

It was ridiculous. And really funny because everyone wanted to know what I asked.  I guess I don't really speak (at all) at lunch so for me to ask about something would be a unique situation....It was just really funny that EVERYONE wanted to know about it.

So, that was my lunch!  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment