Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Korean Bathrooms/Toilets

Date: Whenever

Okay, I feel a little strange about doing a blog post on this, but it has been on my mind.  Or...maybe...in my nose.  (???)

Anyways....one of the things one adjusts to in a difficult culture is the way to use the toilet.  Sounds like it's really simple, but there are actually a whole bunch of ways around the world with different toilet etiquette.

In Korea, there are a couple big differences.

1.  Toilet paper is not in the stall.  Especially in public places, there is toilet paper on the wall outside of the stalls.  So, you grab the necessary amount (which I never know how much so I grab a whole bunch). Heaven help you if you forget to grab tp.  (I have...)  Luckily, one of the basic necessities that one puts in her purse is a bag of tissues (they are sold everywhere here, and often wetwipes are "service-e" items.  or business favors, etc).



2. Toilet Paper does not go in the toilet.  This freaks some people out--I just try not to think about it too much.  I'e been told the reason, which helps a little, to rationalize.  Apparently the Korean sewer system is kinda old fashioned so it can't handle toilet paper.  It would clog the system.  So they put the paper in a little bucket that sits next to the toilet.


So, the reason this subject has been on my mind is that ... sometimes... most of the time...it smells.  I mean, how could it not?

I walk past the restrooms when I go from my teacher's office to the English Classroom.  And I discover myself mentally preparing to pass the door.  I can't even hold my breathe when I pass--I have to exhale.  I am dreading when summer arrives because I'm thinking the heat will not make things any better.

But it is funny.  Toilets were not one of the things I was thinking about having to adjust to when living in a foreign country.  But it seems that every season brings a new toilet problem.  Winter: the heated toilet seats were a blessing.  But also, sometimes the water froze in the toilet bowl.  So...that was really gross.  Spring: The smell.  Summer...hopefully not a worse smell.

No comments:

Post a Comment