Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Seohyung Graduation

Date: 2/8/2011

The Korean School Calendar doesn't really make much sense to me.  Back in early December, they have the end-of-the-year tests, but they still have 3 weeks of school left.  Then they have a  month break--where they have winter camps and still have to go to school and hagwon (private schools).  Then in the beginning of February, they have 3 days of school--one of which is graduation.  And then another month of vacation and then on March 2 they start the new school year.

So, this past week many schools have had their graduation ceremonies--including Seohyung, my city middle school.

I didn't really know what to expect, so I dressed up a little bit (read: put on a skirt) and headed to school.  My school is pretty awesome so I only had to show up at 9.45 am for the 10.30 am ceremony--not 8.30.  Talk about a deal, right?

The first thing I notice when I get to school?  They are selling flowers:
And not just any sort of flowers--no roses or carnations like you would see at home, but Korean flowers.  With decorations.  I tried to explain them to my mom by saying the flowers had been Koreanized, but she didn't understand.   I think pictures will help the situation:
Candy in the middle with lots of flounces, ruffles, and in nauseiatingly bright colors. 

little tinsle things sticking out of the flower arrangements were normal.  

In a box, sure!  And with the brand name Narcissus, it makes perfect sense.

This one didn't have any flowers, just a fuzzy, boa-like thing shaped in a heart.  
These flowers provided endless entertainment during the hour of speeches and presentations that I didn't understand.  Ms Kim had to help the principal hand out awards on stage, so I attached myself to Tae Hee--my brother--who was looking very snazzy in a suit.

For the ceremony part of the morning, I walk into our school gym and it's been transformed.  It looks a lot like it did during school festival, but with chairs.
 All the students lined up like little ducks...I would get claustrophobic if I had to sit that close to the person in front of me, but for them it is normal.
 These girls were handing out programs, and across from them was a coffee/tea station.

They start the ceremony off with what seemed like Simon Says.  The Principal would say something and all the students stood up, as if they had practiced standing together.  Principal speaks.  Students bow their heads.  Principal speaks.  Students bow.

Principal speaks, and everyone around me reacts.  I realize this is the national anthem--I think.
The music teacher directs the national anthem.
 Following the National Anthem was a moment of silence for the (I think) soldiers in service, or fallen.  Since every male must do two years of military service, anyone over the age of 25 realistically has been in the military.  Including, my brother, Tae Hee.

Interestingly, a "Moment of Silence" is not really silent.  Through the whole ceremony some classical music was playing.
 Then some students get awards.  I think these are for best students per grade, highest scores, good attitudes, etc.
 Then the student body president, the tall guy not on the stage, just left of the center of the photo gives a speech to the principal.  I saw tall guy because for a 9th Grader (American age) he is probably over 6 ft.  He was really tall!
Simon says: Principal Speaks: everyone stands up.  Now we sing our school song.  Which, because it actually had music notes, I was able to hum/sing along.   Which earned me a few looks, and Taehee exclaiming in surprise, "You know school song?"
After this, the ceremony part was finished and everyone was able to meet up with their families for hugs and flowers.  I was really surprised that each and every student didn't parade up on stage.  And there was no Pomp and Circumstance.  Which made me think that Koreans have the graduation ceremony right, because, after playing that blasted song for 3 years in high school (I was in the graduation band--and we had over 1000 students in each graduation class--not over exaggerating, my graduation class had 1009 students, I got really REALLY sick of Pomp and Circumstances!)

I went around taking pictures of the different families hugging and exchanging flowers.  I think some parents were really confused to as why the Waegook teacher was taking pictures, but I just smiled, bowed, and bounced off to the next of my victims!  (mu-ahahahaa!)



The student in this picture is Ms Kim's newphew-in-law.  The dad looks like Ms Kim's Husband.  Apparently, their camera ran out batteries so I quickly volunteered to take some photos and email them.  Brownie points for me!

A bunch of student together.  I thought it was interesting that the boys also got flowers.  If you gave a 15 year old boy at home flowers he would almost immediately give them to his girlfriend.  :)
 I walked outside and ran into one of my favorite students. I know, I'm not suppose to have favorites as a teacher, but this girl--every time I saw her, we would speak.  In Japanese.  We would hold a full on conversation in Japanese, in Korea.  So that alone would endear me to hear, but the fact that she was so nice to me, always saying hello, really just would make my day.  She was so excited when she saw me, and said that she wanted a photo with me--which made me feel like I actually touched a student--even if she wasn't my student! (She took Japanese as her foreign language, not English so I never saw her in a classroom.)

No comments:

Post a Comment