Monday, October 17, 2011

Halloween Ponderings

October 18, 2011

At school, I've hit the ground running with Halloween themed activities.  We're talking about zombies, vampires, ghosts, and Frankenstein. I've been pretty impressed with my student's knowledge of the monsters.

But, at the same time, Halloween for most of my korean students and friends is just book knowledge.  I've asked every class (about 15 classes with 40 students each) if they've ever carved a pumpkin.  I think, TOTAL, there have been 5 students--and those are the ones who've lived in America for a year or two (because of Dad's Job).

Of my foreigner friends, only the ones from Canada and America have ever carved a pumpkin.   People from South Africa and New Zealand look at me funny when I say I really want to carve the guard.

So, I'm on the hunt for pumpkins in Gunsan.  I've seen the big size in other provinces...but so far, I'm striking out in Gunsan.  But I WILL rectify the fact that my best friends in Korea haven't carved a pumpkin.  And then we'll roast the seeds.

To top everything off, next week my kids are doing a contest: "Guess what Maggie's Halloween Costume!"  I'm debating on two options for costumes--we'll see if the first option is able to be put together (I'm relying on other people's help to pull it together).  But I've recently got some wind back into my sails so I feel like I can pull off the laughs, stares, and confusion caused by me dressing up at school.

But, to recap: Halloween is throughly an American holiday.  I feel sad for all the other little boys and girls who didn't get to run around, dressing in costume, screaming and fighting for candy.

No comments:

Post a Comment